New pool just filled today - 2 hours later water is GREEN!

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
KFS

New pool just filled today - 2 hours later water is GREEN!

Postby KFS » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 11:23

Is this normal?

We had 8" of water to set the new liner in place. Water hauler delivered clean, treated city water (I could smell the chlorine).

It's less than 3 hours later and the pool is turning GREEN. Cannot get skimmer on and filter on until DH returns home later this evening.

I have heard of the "dreaded green pool" but didn't know it would happen within the first day!

Please advise! This pool has been nothing but a PITA since we started installing it in May. I am beginning to think we aren't meant to have one and we are becoming the big jokes "How's your POOL coming?"

KFS

Green water

Postby KFS » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 11:25

Wanted to add that it is RAINING today. Not heavy but it was drizzlling when they delivered the water. Could that be the problem?

Will getting the filter up and running and chemicals in solve the problems? I am not supposed to add chem until I take it to the pool place for the first chemical analysis - which I cannot possibly do until tomorrow a.m.

HELP!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 00:23

Could be a chemical reaction with the well water. Check for metals in your water.
KFS

Answer!

Postby KFS » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 10:32

Thanks Poolpro. You were absolutely correct!

It was the trace amounts of chlorine in the delivered (city) water reacting to the foot or so of our own well water (otherwise known as "liquid iron").

The pool turned a pretty blue within 24 hours (we were able to resuscitate the old cartridge filter and pump for the duration).

It was sparkly and pretty blue and professionally tested "clean" (and algae free!) yesterday. They had me "shock" it last night as part of the start-up and, you guessed it, GREEN POOL THIS AM!

Now that I know what it is - hard, metallic water does NOT love chlorine ;) -- it's almost funny.

DH told our daughter that if she swims in it she'll turn green "like Shrek."

So she's been swimming all morning and is eagerly awaiting turning green! ;)

Thanks for all the advice and hand-holding here. I really appreciate it. I posted the update so if anyone else has this issue - they might remember this.

THANKS!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 22:05

Thanks for the update. It's always nice to know if our suggestions work out.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”