HOW MUCH BOARAX TO ADD?

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
iowa pool dummy2

HOW MUCH BOARAX TO ADD?

Postby iowa pool dummy2 » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 13:29

Well almost pool season here in Northern Iowa. Having a problem with the infamous green algae. Dumped 2 boxes of Borax in yesterday and 3 gallons of bleach today. We backwash/vacuum daily and run filter 24/7. Tell is there an end insight where we can actually have crystal clear water again? We've done Baguacil, we've done Triclor, now we're giving the Borax/bleach a big try. We have a 18' round above ground with a new sand filter. Can this pool really be maintained for the short season we have and actually attain clear water? How long before we see some results? The only debris is the algae, no leaves or detritus.

Appreciate everyone's help :roll:

me_too

Re: HOW MUCH BOARAX TO ADD?

Postby me_too » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 13:42

Well, when you have visible algae it's too late for borax.

You should add instead about 885 grams of 65% cal hypo (20 ppm) to kill off any visible algae (or about 10 liters of 5.25% bleach). Once the algae is all gone and the water is clear again, it's about 11 kilos of borax and about 6 to 9 kilos of pH- for 50 ppm borates. Add the products in small batches, maybe a third of the borax then a third of the pH- and so on.
iowa pool dummy2

Borax issue

Postby iowa pool dummy2 » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 15:07

Thank me_too for the info.
You must be located in Canada or Europe. Liters, kilos & grams; might take me a little while to convert to gallons, pounds and ounces. Darn Yankees that we are, but I do appreciate the input.
:lol:
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 21:09

No need to convert...just read the box or bottle weight/volume! (Look close at your borax and clorox...it's been on there since the late 70's). :lol:
me_too

Postby me_too » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 08:44

Backglass wrote:No need to convert...just read the box or bottle weight/volume! (Look close at your borax and clorox...it's been on there since the late 70's). :lol:

Yes, or Google for example, "885 grams in ounces", or "11 kilograms in pounds".

Return to “Chlorine”