cloudy green water

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
marie
I'm new here
I'm new here

cloudy green water

Postby marie » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 15:16

33,000 gallon, 1 hp pump, sand filter, vinyl lining, 20x40 inground pool
cl - 4
PH - 7.2
TA - 70
Calcium Hardness - 100
CYA - 30
TDS - 2,000

I put 5 pounds of baking soda to increase the TA

I have pump running 24/7, vacuuming and backwashing everyday
The pump has been running 24/7 for 8 days now with constant shocking at night. The water looks blue/green wtih clouds (dirty) and soap scums. Please help I don't know what to do anymore. Thanks

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 00:12

What are you using for shock?

You have a very high TDS. Over 1500 your chems aren't as effective and you get cloudiness. You probably need to dump and replace quite a bit of your water to reduce it enough. Is your fill water high in TDS?

Consider having your water tested for metals.

Keep your chlorine up to 15 ppm for 2 or 3 days. I would use nothing but liquid chlorine. It will take you about 6 gallons of regular strength Chlorox or 3 gallons of 12.5% pool store chlorine, initially. Add as needed daily to maintain the level.

You could try adding some clarifier or
You could try adding DE powder to your sand filter. Look at your pressure guage on your filter. Add a cup of DE to the skimmer and let it slurry through. Check your guage again to see what the pressure is. If it is 4 or 5 lbs higher, you've added enough DE, if not, add another cup.

Keep the pump running 7/24
marie
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby marie » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 09:01

What do you mean by ss your pool water high in TDS? I don't have a DE filter. I'm using poolstore 12.5 liquid chlorine, I have a couple left, once they are finished I will be switching to 6% ultra chlorine. At 1pm I added 3 bottles of 12.5 shock(the waters turned blue). Last night I did another reading, the numbers did not change much. I shocked again last night with 3 bottles of 12.5 shock. The water is cloudy blue, looks dirty, can't see bottom of pool.
I tested my waters last night myself by using the 6 way HTH kit
Last night test(6/5/2007) previous night test by Leslie Pools(6/4)
cl - 5 4
BR - 10 8
PH - 7.2 7.2
TA - 70 (the 5 pound baking soda did not increase it) 70
Calcium Hardness - 150(how did it increase) 100
CYA - 0 30
TDS - 2,000

how will I know when cl is at 15ppm, my kit doens't show the numbers this way? I purchased the blue bottle water clarifier from KMart. How much of it do I put in the pool?
Thank you

Postby Guest » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 21:49

my water is still the same - cloudy blue. Here's my new test results tonight.
fac - 2
tac - 2
ph -7.0
ta - 80
ch - 230
cya - 30
copper/iron - 0
I broadcasted ph increase to increase my ph level. I don't understand why my pool is not holding the chlorine level. I shocked 2x yesterday and still my chlorine level is low. Is it because of my PH?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 03:35

You are losing your chlorine because you still have organisms in your pool that are consuming your chlorine. Keep adding chlorine until it holds it's chlorine over night. When it does that, it means the chlorine has killed all the bad stuff in your pool. The clouding is probably due to dead algae.

Get a FAS/DPD test kit.

I know you don't have a DE filter. I suggested you might want to add some DE powder in your skimmer to enhance your sand filters cleaning ability.

I don't understand your question about TDS. Your TDS level is very high.

Keep adding chlorine, keep your pump running. Brush and backwash regularly. It takes time and patience and diligence to clear up a pool.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”