Sand, dirt, nastyness

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
fox_forma

Sand, dirt, nastyness

Postby fox_forma » Tue 05 Jun, 2007 18:19

Well I just started leasing a new place and it has an in ground pool. It looked great when we moved in then started getting dirty and green with algae. We found out the pool water was leaking around the higher edges because of a sealing problem but before that the pool guy came buy and said our pump wasn't working correctly because the sand needed to be changed. Well he changed out the sand and now the problem is worse. The pump is pumping better now and our pool is crystal clear but every morning the dirt is back, or whatever it is. I'm getting real tired of this pool guy and its an ongoing thing. I don't know much about pools or their pumps but learn very fast when it comes to pulling things apart.

What steps should I take next to solve this situation. I read a lot about its possible its the lateral valve and I also read about the sock method on the line to the pool. The pool guy had us under the impression its normal for the sand to come back into pool after a complete sand change for a short time period but its been about a month. Please Help

DanO

He's right, but...

Postby DanO » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 22:46

Your pool guy is right, it is perfectly normal to get some very fine dusty particles accumulating in the bottom of your pool for some time after changing the sand. There is a lot of very fine silica dust in the sand, and it takes a while to get it all out.

Here's how to accelerate the process: Backwash frequently. If you backwash at least twice a week, you should be able to get rid of the silica dust within 3 or 4 weeks, depending on the size of your pool, how long the pump runs each day, and the filter's turnover rate.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”