eating chlorine

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
theresa

eating chlorine

Postby theresa » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 08:34

My chlorine lever is constantly reading high, very high, yet it is "EATING" the chlorine tablets as fast as I put them in. Two 3" tabs only last about 1 or 2 days. I tried leaving them out a few days to let the chlorine level go down some, but it remains high and still is eating the tabs. My ph is ok. I hope someone has some advice. I thought of adding more stabilizer but the level is so high now that I'm afraid to. I have to keep tabs in for the free chlorine. What to do???????????????????????????

Thanks


Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun 13 May, 2007 23:26

Postby Buggsw » Sun 10 Jun, 2007 16:03

Adding stabilizer won't do anything for you, especially if it's already too high. If your level of CYA/stabilizer is too high, you can have a lot of problems with your FC levels.

Do you have a lot of Combined Chloramines?

Post your full set of readings.
dudeguy37
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed 16 May, 2007 22:59

Postby dudeguy37 » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:02

Buggsw is absolutely right. Don't add any CYA. If anything it may just cause the chlorine level to stay high longer, depending on what your level is curently. Go to your local pool store and get your water tested. Post your results here so we can check out anything that might somehow contribute to the problem. Make sure to take your water in within one hour, and get your sample's from about a foot below the surface. Other than that, I'd just say take the floater out and test daily until you reach your desired level (2-4 ppm for plaster/concrete, 1-3 ppm for fiberglass). Then add the floater back in to help maintain it.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”

Who is online at the Pool Help Forum

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests