Can someone answer this for me

Chlorinating, maintaining the right chlorine levels,
chlorine problems. Dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo, bleach,
granules, chlorine pucks and chlorine sticks.
jennidawn197

Can someone answer this for me

Postby jennidawn197 » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 11:12

I have a above ground pool 24x54
This is my 5 yr of havin the pool and I wanna know does anyone have to put Chlorine tablets in there pool more then twice a day? I put 3...3 inch tables in our simmer twice a day.But when i test the pool, the water never shows any Chlorine at all !!!All of my other reading are fine..The pool place told me it was because I live on a farm,that when there is cattle it does something to your chemicals. Has anyone every heard of this?

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 04:48

No, never heard that one.

Have you shocked your pool?
Dandle
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Dandle » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:59

I just found out that I had way to much chlorine in my pool. When I put a tablet in the tester it would flash red then after shaking it it was perfectly clear. Turns out the chlorine was bleaching the test chemical. Try diluting a sample down byt 5 to ten times with normal water to see if you can get any form of reading. Im a bit new to all this but its an idea for you.
mamcwifey
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Can someone answer this for me

Postby mamcwifey » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:51

jennidawn197 wrote:I have a above ground pool 24x54
This is my 5 yr of havin the pool and I wanna know does anyone have to put Chlorine tablets in there pool more then twice a day? I put 3...3 inch tables in our simmer twice a day.But when i test the pool, the water never shows any Chlorine at all !!!All of my other reading are fine..The pool place told me it was because I live on a farm,that when there is cattle it does something to your chemicals. Has anyone every heard of this?

These tablets often contain stabilizer or CYA. Once this level goes out of range, no matter how much chlorine you dump into your pool, it will not register. You should be using 1-2 tablets per week, and supplementing that with a once per week liquid or powder chlorine shock.

Unfortunately, the only way to get this level down is by diluting it. Take the tablets out of your pool. Drain the water a few inches. Replace the tablets for a couple of weeks with the liquid or powder chlorine (about 1 lb/ 10,000 gallons). This should help reduce your CYA reading, and once that's back within range, you can start using the tablets with the shock supplement.

Hope this helps!!
*mamcwifey
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:28

If you get a good test kit, such as the Taylor K-2006 found here or here or the even better TF-100 kit found here, then you will be able to test chlorine levels up to 50 ppm. These kits have the far superior FAS-DPD chlorine test which uses a "count the drops" technique which is very accurate rather than the "how intense is this color" technique in the DPD (red color) and OTO (yellow color) tests. Chlorine above 5 ppm can bleach out the DPD test as was noted in a post above.

The test kits I refer to will test Free Chlorine (FC), Combined Chlorine (CC), pH, Total Alkalinity (TA), Cyanuric Acid (CYA) and Calcium Hardness (CH). Your results will even be more accurate than most pool stores.

Richard

Return to “Chlorine”