Good test water Green pool

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Jayden

Good test water Green pool

Postby Jayden » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 14:44

My pool is green. I have a 20,000 inground pool with a salt system. Salt got low, chlorine got low, rain, rain, and more rain now the pool is green. I added salt and have it up to 3300ppm. My pH was 8.0, TA was 60ppm, free chlorine was low, cya was 50ppm. I went to local pool store and they recommended alkalinity up, 10 pounds, circulate, then add muriatic acid to lower pH, circulate. Next I added 4 pounds of shock (poolbrand from Sam's club) and 32 oz of Algae control. I circulated pool 24 hours and still no change. Looked on the Internet and found several sites that suggested I did not have enough chlorine. I did four more bags of shock same kind brushed again and circulated 24 hours. Today still no change. Water test seem good to me free chlorine is 5ppm, total available chlorine is 5ppm, pH is 7.6 ppm, TA is 80ppm, calcium hardness is 225, cya is 100, salt is still 3300ppm? They suggested copper algaecide and shock. I have heard that copper algaecide is not good for salt systems. I don't know what to do. Chemical balance seems good but pool is still green.

Jayden

Postby Jayden » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 15:44

Forgot to mention that I have a cartridge filter, that i have cleaned once during this process. Don't know if that helps, but the more information the better.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 04:39

Have your water tested for metals. Do you have a heater? Could be corrosive water caused the metals in a heater to leach into your pool.
jayden

Postby jayden » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 09:49

Thank you for your reply, test show no unusual metal according to pool store. I've since put in 3 gallons of bleach, and it is a little clearer. This forum has been very helpful. I think my cya is to high due to dichloro-s-triazinetrione. I did not know about the stabilizer before reading on this site. Do I keep adding bleach? I guess I will add another 3 to 4 gallons? Thanks for your help and any additional help would be great.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 14:31

If it's no metals, then yes, it has to be chlorine.

Keep adding liquid chlorine and keep it high day & night by adding some throughout the day, if you can. When it pretty much holds the shock level all night long then you have shocked it enough. That means it has killed everything it can, that nothing is consuming it.

With a CYA of 100 your shock level chlorine should be 25ppm. Your FC should be kept at a minimum of 8 ppm from that point on.

Don't use any more chlorine/shock products that are stabalized.
Jayden

Postby Jayden » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 15:00

Thanks again. Pool is now blue-green and seems to be cleaning up, however cya has climbed as well. The cya is at 150. I used 6% bleach only no more stabilizer. Sounds like I need to add a little at a time. I have been putting it in all at once. Thanks again.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 15:37

Bleach does not raise your CYA. You are probably not getting good readings.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”