Sand or Cartridge filter?....that is the question

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
Mark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Sand or Cartridge filter?....that is the question

Postby Mark » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 22:31

First I am glad that there is a Forum for pools. I am going to become a new pool owner and your imput will be greatly appreciated.

My pool is to be installed the week of the 18th (June), but before they come out I wanted to know what is a better type of filter system.

I hear that lots of people have these cartridge filters and then there are those that have a sand filter, then there is also a filter system that I don't know how to pronounce ambeatisdfadf--something like that.

Please help!!!!!

If i can't fix it...you don't need it.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 03:25

DE filters will provide the best and fastest filtering of all, if properly sized.
DE stands for diatamaceous earth. Everytime you backwash, you need to pour a few lbs of this in the skimmer to reload the filter. Twice a year you should open up the filter and remove and clean the grids. I had one, and loved it, but got tired of handling the powder and didn't like cleaning the grids.

Many people love cartridge filters - sometimes the selling point is no backwashing. To me, cleaning the cartridge regularly is a pain in the neck. It takes too much time to clean them, for my liking, and replacement of the cartridges is pricey. I have a cartridge filter on my separate spa.

Sand filters work fine for most people and other than regular backwashing when your psi reaches 10 over startup psi, they usually require no other maintenance for a few years. The sand should be changed in 3 to 5 years.

An alternative for sand filters is to fill with zeolites instead of sand. I replaced my DE filter with a sand filter using zeobest. I love it. Looking at my water, at night, at the pool light, it looks as clear as my DE filter.
Though, sand filters will always be slower to than DE. I can live with that.

Some people put a little DE in their skimmers when using sand filters. I don't do that, but many swear by it. I don't seem to need it.

Just make sure they put a properly sized filter and pump on your system. Bigger is better for filters. The filter size is what determines your pump size.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”