fine dust on the floor of my pool

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
bagit95

fine dust on the floor of my pool

Postby bagit95 » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 11:45

My 20'x40' gunite pool was installed in the fall of 2005. I have an automatic safety cover which I kept closed for the first winter and used as my winter cover. When I opened the pool in the spring of last year the water was crystal clear and needed no chemicals. The water was balanced perfectly. At the direction of my pool company I installed a semi solid winter cover for last winter because they said the snow accumulation on the automatic cover would weigh it down and pull the tracks out. They are mounted under my coping. So this spring I opened the pool and it was pretty gross. Lots of dead worms at the bottom and a lot of silt and cloudy water. So I shocked it big time, vacuumed it several times, swept it more times in the last two weeks then I did all last season and I still have a fine layer of dirty looking dust everyday. I sweep it everyday and another layer of dust is there. I've hosed the 4 cartriges in my filter twice, clean the automatic cleaner filter daily, keep the skimmers clean and I still get the dust. What is this dust???

robbo

Fine silt covering pool

Postby robbo » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:44

I have a similar problem. brush vac, but next day it is back and builds up the more I leave it. My water is clear, chlorine high, Ph has been a bit high. If I had a DE filter you would say I have thrown in some handfuls of DE that has settled right over the floors and steps, it does stick just sits there. BTW I have a sand filter.
Robbo

Any solutions

Postby Robbo » Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:49

Forgot to ask, anyone know how to stop this?? I've tried shocking, and algecide, but it aint algae (?). I've vac'd, brushed settled vac'd to waste, etc but it's still there. I've increase alkalinity, no good, and right now I am trying bring the PH down real low to about 6 just to see if there is a difference. Local pool shop are useless... except at selling me a new potion each time I ask them what this is!

Re: Any solutions

Postby Guest » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 18:38

The only way to know what is going on is to fully test the chemical balance of the pool. If everything is ok there then the problem is probably with the filter.

Lowering your pH to 6 is not a good idea if you run the filter while it's like that. The water will be very corrosive.

What color is the dust in the pool?

Robbo wrote:Forgot to ask, anyone know how to stop this?? I've tried shocking, and algecide, but it aint algae (?). I've vac'd, brushed settled vac'd to waste, etc but it's still there. I've increase alkalinity, no good, and right now I am trying bring the PH down real low to about 6 just to see if there is a difference. Local pool shop are useless... except at selling me a new potion each time I ask them what this is!

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”