Liquid solar blanket in a "pill" yay or nay?

Electric heaters, gas heaters, heat pumps,
solar heaters, geothermal heating, solar pool
covers and wood-burning pool heating equipment.
Kym

Postby Kym » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 10:35

Pool retailer suggested we try these "pills" (actually big plastic balls) instead of a traditional solar cover.

I'm all for anything that doesn't require me to drag a big plastic blanket around and store it every day, but does anyone know if these "liquid blankets" really work?

TIA!

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Liquid solar blanket

Postby Backglass » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 12:08

They do work to some degree to keep your pool from cooling off at night by inhibiting evaporation.

But even so, they are nowhere near as good as a solar blanket...but better than nothing I suppose.
Nicole

Postby Nicole » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 16:04

My company sells TROPICAL FISH, a single TROPICAL FISH contains liquid which automatically floats to the surface of the pool, and acts as an evaporation inhibitor, much as a conventional solar blanket performs, only much easier to use.

The key ingredient Tropical Fish Liquid Solar Blanket is a non-toxic chemical called HEATSAVER; it is pool filter friendly, does not affect the pool's chemical balance (pH, chlorine, alkalinity) of the water, will not damage vinyl liners or any other pool surfaces, and is absolutely harmless to skin contact. You cannot see it, taste it or smell it in the pool water.

Our company has been in the pool heating business for over nineteen years, we would be more than happy to get you info or answer any of questions, Please feel free to call us or check us out on the web.

Nicole
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Liquid solar blanket

Postby chem geek » Mon 06 Aug, 2007 16:24

The key to making these liquid solar blankets work is calm water. If you are in an area with frequent wind, then they will not work very well as the choppiness of the water will break up the thin layer of compound that helps reduce evaporation which would otherwise cool the water. If you have still air or a light breeze, then they are effective -- not as much as a solar cover, but probably about half as effective (which is still pretty good -- probably cuts down heat loss by one-half instead of by three-quarters as with a solar cover).

The compound is organic, essentially a long-chain hydrocarbon with an alcohol end. So it will slowly breakdown with chlorine but takes a long time as there are no nitrogen sites. If you use enzymes or non-chlorine shock, then it will likely breakdown faster.

Richard
bill

Liquid solar blankets for pool

Postby bill » Fri 28 Sep, 2007 17:29

My homeowners association is considering using the HeatSavr solar blanket in our pool. We would very much like to hear from organizations using this product, their savings history, and particularly, bad experiences.

Thanks

Bill
Mr. Money Saver

How To Make Your Own Liquid Solar Pool Cover

Postby Mr. Money Saver » Tue 13 May, 2008 21:54

Hello,

Yes, the products you mention work great.

However you can make your own liquid solar pool cover in liquid or powdered formulas.

Check this web site to learn more:
barby102

Postby barby102 » Sat 14 Mar, 2009 19:14

how do you make solar cover?????????????????????????
JFC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JFC » Sat 30 May, 2009 12:35

IAre there any dealers in Ontario Canada?

Nicole wrote:My company sells TROPICAL FISH, a single TROPICAL FISH contains liquid which automatically floats to the surface of the pool, and acts as an evaporation inhibitor, much as a conventional solar blanket performs, only much easier to use.

The key ingredient Tropical Fish Liquid Solar Blanket is a non-toxic chemical called HEATSAVER; it is pool filter friendly, does not affect the pool's chemical balance (pH, chlorine, alkalinity) of the water, will not damage vinyl liners or any other pool surfaces, and is absolutely harmless to skin contact. You cannot see it, taste it or smell it in the pool water.

Our company has been in the pool heating business for over nineteen years, we would be more than happy to get you info or answer any of questions, Please feel free to call us or check us out on the web.

Nicole
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sun 31 May, 2009 09:59

There is only one, other claims but only one really works well.

http://www.flexiblesolutions.com/

Should be a way on that site to find a dealer thats close. Best way is their timer/feeder combo. It doesn't make mistakes and its always added. 1 oz. for every 400 sq.ft., at night after closing the pool. They have tons of data from pools that had complete analysis done and it definitely works and saves money. Better than nothing but not as good as a cover.
js

Postby js » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 20:04

does anyone know the ingredients of the liquid solar pool covers. we live in a condo and are thinking about getting this for the pool however, we do not know about what ingredients are in the stuff. also, the best place to purchase the liquid in jugs.
thank you,
jodysdaddy@aol.com
Nicole

Postby Nicole » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 19:52

My company sells TROPICAL FISH, a single TROPICAL FISH contains liquid which automatically floats to the surface of the pool, and acts as an evaporation inhibitor, much as a conventional solar blanket performs, only much easier to use.

Nicole
poolheat(dot)com
800-780-4328
ray

Postby ray » Tue 22 Dec, 2009 20:46

Mr. Money Saver wrote:Hello,

However you can make your own liquid solar pool cover in liquid or powdered formulas.

Ed Smith

Postby Ed Smith » Sat 13 Mar, 2010 17:05

Mr. Money Saver wrote:Hello,

Ed Smith

How to make your own solar blanket

Postby Ed Smith » Sat 13 Mar, 2010 17:09

Okay, Mr. Money Saver,

What is the chemical so I can make my own liquid blanket?

Ed Smith
mouffe

Postby mouffe » Wed 03 Aug, 2011 07:33

barby102 wrote:how do you make solar cover?????????????????????????

I found the recipe on and tried it but the product is not clear and leaves a milky deposit on the pool surface . Has anyone else ever foud the correct recipe

Return to “Solar & Pool Heaters”