Help! Bottom drain hose keeps collapsing

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
hurst74
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help! Bottom drain hose keeps collapsing

Postby hurst74 » Fri 08 Jun, 2007 23:30

I have a 16x24 kayak pool and If I want to set the valve to bottom drain only it works for about 3 minutes then the hose starts collapsing and then wont flow. Its 1.5" clear flexible hose, so obviously its not strong enough. My question is, is this a normal hose to install to the bottom drain because it seems like the weight of the dirt and pool would collapse the whole hose to the bottom drain which is 7.5 feet deep. or should I try to dig it up next time I need a new liner, or just stop trying to use the bottom drain alone? :shock:

howzball
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby howzball » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 16:02

Sounds like you sorta know the answer here.... :D

The clear hose isn't designed to be pumped through. It has no re-enforcing structure to it. Use a hose more like the one on your vacuum, the accordion ribs are what keep it from collapsing.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Help! Bottom drain hose keeps collapsing

Postby Backglass » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:53

hurst74 wrote:I have a 16x24 kayak pool and If I want to set the valve to bottom drain only it works for about 3 minutes then the hose starts collapsing and then wont flow. Its 1.5" clear flexible hose, so obviously its not strong enough. My question is, is this a normal hose to install to the bottom drain because it seems like the weight of the dirt and pool would collapse the whole hose to the bottom drain which is 7.5 feet deep. or should I try to dig it up next time I need a new liner, or just stop trying to use the bottom drain alone? :shock:

Sounds like someone went to Home Depot and just bought the basic clear tubing. This wont work with suction. Go to a pool store and buy the ribbed hose.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”