Help!!! Can't get rid of cloudiness!!

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
dang_pool

Help!!! Can't get rid of cloudiness!!

Postby dang_pool » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 00:08

Here is the test info: pool is an above-ground 17,500 gallon

Saturation index - .14
Total dissolved solids - 1,000
free chlorine -0.0
total chlorine - 0.0
pH- 7.6
CYA - 30
alkalinity 150
calcium hardness - 180
temperature - extremely cold!!

All season, the pool has been a cloudy bluish-green color. Last week they said my phosphates were high (1,000), so gave me phosphate remover and clarifier, which I added. No difference and that has been 4 days ago. My filter (D.E.) needs cleaned several times a day and has green matter on it when I clean it. Until the phosphate issue last week, pool place has been telling me all season that everything tests perfectly. When the above reading was taken last week, I had put quite a bit of chlorine in it the day before, and, as you can see, there was none left the next day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have poured a lot of $$ into trying to figure out the problem (including a new $300 filter, which I now know was not the problem.)

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:56

Are you replenishing the DE everything you clean or back wash it?
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
dang_pool

Postby dang_pool » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:10

What has been happening is the water flow back into the pool goes down very quickly, even if the pressure has only slightly increased. If I open the lid and clear the d.e. and dirt off of the air valve, water flow increases for a while. Eventually, that stops helping much and I go ahead and start over - cleaning the filter and reapplying fresh d.e. I have never kept the filter running long enough for the pressure to increase 10 lbs, because by the time it increases by 5 lbs, there is hardly any water going through the pump and being returned to the pool.

I have changed the d.e at least 10 times in the last 2 weeks.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 22:00

Something is very wrong, then, with your filter.

What size is your filter and how much DE are you using to reload it?
dang_pool

Postby dang_pool » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:21

It's a brand new filter and the same as I used last year and the year before with no problems at all. Not sure of the exact size, but I put in 5-6 lbs. of d.e., as it instructs on the lid of the filter housing. What could be wrong with it? Everything appears to be working ok, as far as the d.e sticking to the filter etc.
dang_pool

Postby dang_pool » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 07:41

Buggsw-

Don't desert me now ...any ideas?

Swimmming in milk,

Erin
Bob

Cloudy

Postby Bob » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 09:23

Walter wrote:Are you replenishing the DE everything you clean or back wash it?

CHANGE YOUR SAND,,,this happend to me I spent hudreds of $$,,,in chems,,,then I changed my sand and had sparkling water overnight!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:19

Erin, Sorry, I've been having sciatica problems and haven't been able to spend as much time on the forums. Can't bear to sit, very long.

Sounds like you may have a 60 DE. When you first charge a DE filter you need to use about 10 lbs of DE, then with regular backwashing you should use around 5 lbs.

If that doesn't work, then I would have a pool repair company look at your filter. You shouldn't have to do what you are doing with a DE filter. You may have some hairline crack or damage that is causing your problem.

Bob - Erin has a DE filter, not a sand filter.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Cloudy

Postby Backglass » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:29

Bob wrote:
Walter wrote:Are you replenishing the DE everything you clean or back wash it?

CHANGE YOUR SAND,,,this happend to me I spent hudreds of $$,,,in chems,,,then I changed my sand and had sparkling water overnight!

DE and SAND are two very different things...he has no sand in his filter.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”