phosphate levels

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
tntkress

phosphate levels

Postby tntkress » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 21:15

Larry, I am perplexed by my cloudy pool. After getting the water crystal clear after a month of effort, I could not get a measurable free or total chlorine level. I kept the salt chlorine generator on 24/7 for weeks and still no measurable chlorine. I didn't believe my test kit. I took the water to a pool store with the same results. Water is relatively balanced. pH 7.2, TA 275 (slightly high), stabilizer fine, and crystal clear water. However, there was a problem somewhere, my generator makes 1.5lbs of chlorine per hour. After lots of research and ruling out generator malfunction, it was suggested that I test the phosphate levels as this can 'tie' up the chlorine even with no algae present. I used the required amount of PHOSfloc and followed the application directions to the letter. The phosphate levels must be lower, although still measuring high, because I am getting measurable free chlorine at 1ppm. pH is still 7.2 and TA is still 275. However, I now have a very cloudy pool. At the suggestion of Natural Chemistry, I am lowering the pH a bit and attempting to allow the pool to 're-floc'. Do you have any suggestions? What a mess, Ted

tntkress

phosphate levels

Postby tntkress » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 19:06

Does anyone have any suggestions for the aforementioned phosphate issues? Tried to 're floc' with no success. The bright side is that I now have measurable chlorine. 2ppm free chlorine. However still a cloudy pool? Frustrating.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 22:50

Other than making sure you are vacuuming regularly to keep leaves, grass, dirt out of the pool and continuiing to treat for phosphates. I wouldn't know what to tell you.

Phosphate treatments do cloud up your pool and they usually recommend using a clarifier. Keep your pH at around 7.2 and your chlorine at shock level, vacuum regularly, backwash regularly, run your pump 7/24 until it clears. It can take quite a long time.
tntkress

Postby tntkress » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 12:43

Thank you, I will do it.
dapoolboy

phosphates

Postby dapoolboy » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 17:53

first off... the chlorine generator only makes 1 1/2 # per DAY not hour... if you have a chlorine demand ( chemical, bacteria, algae, other) then it would take a long time for it to go away if ever.

Get to a professional pool store and have them do a chlorine demand test, takes 30 minutes, and you will know the amount of chlorine needed.

FYI - phosphates do not add or contribute to the demand, they can not be broke down any further so they can not "use" chlorine.

Re: phosphates

Postby Guest » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 08:15

dapoolboy wrote:Get to a professional pool store and have them do a chlorine demand test, takes 30 minutes, and you will know the amount of chlorine needed.

what's a chlorine demand test?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: phosphates

Postby Backglass » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 10:04

Anonymous wrote:
dapoolboy wrote:Get to a professional pool store and have them do a chlorine demand test, takes 30 minutes, and you will know the amount of chlorine needed.

what's a chlorine demand test?

Or buy a Taylor test kit and perform your own chlorine demand test pool side in 2 minutes. Every pool owner should have a real test kit...not strips. With the money saved driving back and forth to the pool store you could pay for one and have accurate readings.

You need to add chlorine (bleach is easiest/cheapest/best) to satisfy your chlorine demand, burn off your CC and give your generator a kick start.

Salt water chlorinators are best at maintaining chlorine levels...not ramping up from zero. As mentioned above if you have active algae, piles of leaves or something else eating your chlorine, your generator will never keep up.
tntkress

Postby tntkress » Thu 12 Jul, 2007 09:11

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it.

It was my understanding that the phosphates were feeding the algae and the chlorine generator running 100% of the time was just able to keep the algae in check. The pool is back to crystal clear and I am able to keep a measurable chlorine level since I used the bulk phosphate remover. It did take 3 weeks for the pool to clear though with constant maintenance.

There is no visible algae, the water is CRYSTAL clear, but I still brush the crevices where the vinyl meets the steps, skimmer box, and light to remove a 'slime like' mold growing there. It has clear slime like coat with a brownish center. Any ideas what this is? Chlorine resistant algae?

Not a real problem, just curious. Swim season is over in 2 months so I will maintain as is, drain next year, and start over.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”