SKIN RASH! HELP!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
katiasmom
I'm new here
I'm new here

SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby katiasmom » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 12:53

My daughter has been breaking out into a horrible, painful, itchy rash on her arms, legs and back after swimming in our pool. She can swim in any other pool for hours with nothing happening. It is only our pool. Over the years the pool guy (for lack of better term) has played around with things to try to help the situation but nothing works. This year, for the first time, not only did my daughter break out, so did her friend. The only thing we can think of is that there are ducks that visit the pool. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:41

Don't think it is the ducks at all, the chlorine will take care of that. I think the chemicals are messed up in your pool, see about taking a sample to a pool store and see what is going on.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:39

Sounds like your chlorine level may be very high or the ph way off. Do you have a test kit? If not you should probably get one so you can figure out where the problem lies. Either that or get a new pool guy.

Ducks wont hurt anything except get feathers in the pool. ;)
pk4217
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby pk4217 » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 07:12

one more suggestion. you've any fiberglass tools? pool, or sand filter? fiberglass powder dropping might give you problem like that.
Colleen Cavy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby Colleen Cavy » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 19:46

katiasmom wrote:My daughter has been breaking out into a horrible, painful, itchy rash on her arms, legs and back after swimming in our pool. She can swim in any other pool for hours with nothing happening. It is only our pool. Over the years the pool guy (for lack of better term) has played around with things to try to help the situation but nothing works. This year, for the first time, not only did my daughter break out, so did her friend. The only thing we can think of is that there are ducks that visit the pool. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

My 12 year old son has been experiencing a severe rash when he swims only in our pool. We have a fiberglass pool and my other kids and their friends are fine. I have taken water samples to 4 different pool stores all with different opinions. Our water sample looks good and he is the only one getting the rash. I have contacted an allergist to have him tested to see if it's something blowing into our pool from the neighbor's trees. I have drained and added new water. We have tried changing chemicals but nothing seems to work.

Does the rash seem to get worse hours after getting out of the pool?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: SKIN RASH! HELP!

Postby Backglass » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 20:36

Colleen Cavy wrote:
katiasmom wrote:My daughter has been breaking out into a horrible, painful, itchy rash on her arms, legs and back after swimming in our pool. She can swim in any other pool for hours with nothing happening. It is only our pool. Over the years the pool guy (for lack of better term) has played around with things to try to help the situation but nothing works. This year, for the first time, not only did my daughter break out, so did her friend. The only thing we can think of is that there are ducks that visit the pool. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!!

My 12 year old son has been experiencing a severe rash when he swims only in our pool. We have a fiberglass pool and my other kids and their friends are fine. I have taken water samples to 4 different pool stores all with different opinions. Our water sample looks good and he is the only one getting the rash. I have contacted an allergist to have him tested to see if it's something blowing into our pool from the neighbor's trees. I have drained and added new water. We have tried changing chemicals but nothing seems to work.

Does the rash seem to get worse hours after getting out of the pool?

Sounds like your chlorine level may be very high or the ph way off. Do you have a test kit? If not you should probably get one so you can figure out where the problem lies.

It could be a simple fix but without test numbers you guys are guessing in the dark.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 22:18

High pH and TA can also make you itchy and such. He may be more sensitive. I know, I am.

Some people are allergic to the sun's rays.

If I keep my water pH at 7.2 to 7.4 and my TA at 90, my skin likes it so much better.

Humans are slightly acidic a little below 7 on the pH scale. 7 is considered neutral. Anything less than 7 is considered acidic. Shampoos that are advertised as pH balanced are usually around 7.2 pH

One other thought - if you are like me, I slather any kids I have with waterproof sunscreen. Many people are allergic to ingredients in sunscreen. I cannot tolerate some of them, myself.

So it may not be your pool, at all.

I'd be interested in a full reading of your water's chemistry, including phosphates, metals - plus the regular readings of Total chlorine, combined chlorine/chloramines and Free chlorine, pH, TA, CH, TDS, CYA.
Combined chlorine/chloramines can make your eyes burn and skin itchy. I always keep mine at 0.

I'd like to know what you use for shocking, chlorinating and any other chemicals you use in your pools. I'd also like to know what brands and strengths of sunscreen you are using.
katiasmom
I'm new here
I'm new here

Now everyone gets the rash

Postby katiasmom » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 22:41

Thanks for the responses. A couple answers to questions....no it's not fiberglass....the pH is fine, the chlorine level is at 1, phospates are fine...no major sunscreen usage...not sure about the chloramines and other elements....the pool is filled with well-water.....I am guessing Pseudomonas aeruginosa - a bacteria - all the symptoms fit....Any ideas on that?

The pool guy supposedly upped the chlorine yesterday even though he said the tests have been normal - he even supposedly submitted them to a lab....he was also going to acid clean the filters...we'll see what happens. If this doesn't work, thinking about draining, acid washing and refilling!

This rash appears before they're even out of the pool. It is small little red bumps behind arms, on torso and back of legs. Feels like pin pricks to touch. Zapping with anticeptic aloe seems to soothe the pain...I don't dare get in the pool because I have a kidney transplant and am highly immunosuppressed so a rash for them could become something worse for me.....

:(
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 00:33

I think there is a good chance that could be it and it would mean you have a poorly sanitized pool.

I'm concerned that your chlorine level at 1 may be a clue.

A chlorine level at 1 would only be effective for sanitizing if you had 0 combined chlorine/chloramines and no CYA (stabilizer) in your pool.

You definately need to get a FAS/DPD test kit and test your water for Total Chlorine as well as Combined Chlorine. TC - CC = Free Chlorine.
Else, take a fresh sample of pool water to a pool store within a half hour of collecting the sample and have it tested and make them write it all down for you.

Free Chlorine is what is effective at sanitizing.

The higher your CYA, the higher you need to keep your Free Chlorine, because CYA, while a buffer against sun burning out your chlorine, it also reduces the effectiveness of your chlorine.

The ideal range of CYA is 30 - 50 ppm and at that level, you should keep your free chlorine at a minimum of 3ppm and a max of 6ppm.

Again, I ask that you post a full set of test readings along with the volume in gallons of your pool and we can tell you more accurately what is going on with your water.
katiasmom
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby katiasmom » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:12

Hi! Thanks for the response! I will try to get the information you need this week!
katiasmom
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby katiasmom » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 12:37

Okay, just hung up with my guy....trying to pull info out of a rock....
Free cholrine is 2
pH is 80 & 7.4 whatever that means
Pool is approx. 20K gallons

Keep asking him about about chlorine/chloramines and get no real answer.

He apparently shocked it like crazy, my daughter will get in tonight, and we'll pray for no rash.

I'll try to get a water sample out again this week.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 13:02

It's too bad your pool guy isn't forthcoming about the CC's in your pool.

I realize with your health concern that you may not want to test it yourself, but perhaps you could purchase your own good test kit and have a neighbor or relative test your water for you.

Get a good one, though that will test for CC's.
tftestkits dotcom or a good kit from Taylor like the K-2006.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 16:43

(I am unable to post a couple of sentences where this site thinks I'm posting a URL link when I am not. This is really annoying!)

I bet that the rash is due to the bacteria that causes "hot tub itch". Most people are not sensitive to this bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa) and the bacteria is not found in all pools and spas, but for those who are affected, it's very uncomfortable (just do a search on "hot tub itch" to read more about it).

Unfortunately, it takes a far higher chlorine level to kill the bacteria that causes hot tub itch. Most bacteria are very easy-to-kill with chlorine and require a disinfecting chlorine level of only 0.005 to kill. Since algae is far harder to kill than most bacteria, the normal target recommendation is to keep the disinfecting chlorine level at 0.05 ppm. The hot tub itch bacteria needs 0.25 ppm to kill and that is around the shock level of chlorine.

So how does one go from the disinfecting chlorine level to the Free Chlorine (FC) you need? It depends on your CYA level but the rule of thumb is that for normal sanitation and prevention of algae you should target an FC level that is 11.5% of your CYA level. For manually dosed pools (i.e. not SWG pools), you should never let the FC get below 7.5% of the CYA level. To shock the pool for algae and to get rid of hot tub itch, you need to raise the FC level to 40% of the CYA level for 24 hours. It sounds like your CYA level is 80 which is too high. Shocking with 32 ppm FC and then maintaining 9.2 ppm FC is probably impractical.

So you should do a partial drain/refill of your pool water to get the CYA level down to something more manageable -- closer to 30-40 ppm. Then you can shock with just 12-16 ppm FC and then maintain 3.5 - 4.6 ppm FC. You will want to thoroughly wash your swimsuits in hot soapy water and be sure to have the pool cleaner and any equipment in the pool when you shock it -- or clean them separately to prevent reintroduction of the bacteria into your pool.

Richard
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 18:31

Chem geek, I know, this site is very irritating, at times.

Even though it won't let you supposedly type in a link, it will let you use the URL tags to do so. Weird.

Anyway, I think she and I both have come to the same conclusion about hot tub rash.

You make even better suggestions than I ever could. I'm so glad you are around.
katiasmom
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby katiasmom » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 19:26

Hi again! REad the posts and have printed them out and will show them to my pool guy tomorrow. My daughter just got out and after all this shocking still has the bumps but not as bad. Since I'm having a party next week, does it sound reasonable to drain, acid wash and refill rather than to keep trying to get the chemicals correct? If it is this bacteria, shouldn't that cure it?

I truly appreciate all the advise you are giving!!!

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”