question about de filter

Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
jaxpool

question about de filter

Postby jaxpool » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 19:32

my husband and i just took apart the de filter and everything is running much better now. I told my friend what we did and he asked if we cleaned all the sand out of it, i told him yes and he said it's a sand filter and we should not have cleaned out all of the sand. I'm really confused now because there was only a little sand at the bottom of the filter. I didn't even know we had a sand filter. My question is the d.e. filter and sand filter the same thing ? If so, how much sand do I put in and how do I put it in? Obviously we are very new at this and our pool people didn't really explain this to us.

Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 08:39

You would have a whole lot more sand if it was a sand filter, A DE filter uses a powder to coat the grids, did it have grids? You have to replace the DE if you washed it all out, I recommend getting some info from the filter manf.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: question about de filter

Postby Backglass » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 10:45

jaxpool wrote:My question is the d.e. filter and sand filter the same thing ?

No. DE and sand filters are two completely different animals.

A sand filter literally has sand in it...a LOT of sand, 200-900 pounds! A DE filter uses, well..."DE" (Diatomaceous Earth) which is a pumice-like powdery stone substance. Sand filters only need to be changed after several years of use but a DE filter needs to be re-loaded with more DE after every backwash.

If you haven't added any new DE to your filter after backwashing...then it is empty and not filtering anything.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”