water flowing out backwash pipe

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
kristecrane

water flowing out backwash pipe

Postby kristecrane » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:20

I turn the pump on and water is flowing out of backwash drain when on filter or on recirculate. Is there anyone that knows what the problem is. THis is a new pump NEW FILTER NEW new sand. PLEASE HELP

Eddie Too

Postby Eddie Too » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:15

It sounds like your control valve is not seating properly and letting watter be cut off from the backwash line.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: water flowing out backwash pipe

Postby Backglass » Thu 14 Jun, 2007 12:47

kristecrane wrote:I turn the pump on and water is flowing out of backwash drain when on filter or on recirculate. Is there anyone that knows what the problem is. THis is a new pump NEW FILTER NEW new sand. PLEASE HELP

This is a brand new filter? Did someone take apart the valve? It may be assembled incorrectly or perhaps just the label is on wrong! On what setting does water return to the pool correctly?

Remember you always change the valve position with the pump OFF or seals can do funky things.
hemlock

I think I know

Postby hemlock » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:00

I had the exact same problem and pasted it here earlier this season. We had the hoses hooked up wrong. Double check your hoses and switch them around to make sure they are hooked up right. We felt really stupid. But save a few hundred dollars by not having to buy a new valve. We have hooked up pools for 17 years and never done this before. Good luck!

Postby Guest » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 11:11

I always have to tweak my multivalve a little when I go from backwash back to filter. What I mean is when the valve is in filter mode I give a little tug to the left just the way it seats I guess.

Try putting it on filter and move it a little one way or the other.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:18

Anonymous wrote:I always have to tweak my multivalve a little when I go from backwash back to filter. What I mean is when the valve is in filter mode I give a little tug to the left just the way it seats I guess.

Try putting it on filter and move it a little one way or the other.

To prevent this from happening, always turn your multi-port valve handle in the same direction, even if you have to go "back" one notch...go all the way around instead.

Your spider gasket will last MUCH longer.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”