Blue but cloudy

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

Blue but cloudy

Postby tory921 » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 06:29

I need some help...... when opening my pool it was swamp green. I shocked the pool and have been sweeping daily however now it is blue but very cloudy and you can't see the bottom. All levels were good, but now the PH is a little high. Any suggestions on how to clear this up? Its a 24 ft above ground pool. Any help would be appreciated !!

Thanks so much

Vanessa

Same Problem

Postby Vanessa » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 09:49

I am having the exact same problem. I just fixed an algy problem, and my water is now blue but soo cloudy, my ph was a bit high so i used some ph down, not working... the chlorine level on my tester is fine...
Any suggestions??
Should the pool be ok to use otherwise?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:08

You are seeing dead algae and it can take a few days to clear up.

Keep your pump running 7/24 and keep your chlorine level up to shock level and your pH at around 7.2 until it clears up. You may have to backwash a little more frequently during this period.

I wouldn't swim in it, myself, until it clears and your chlorine comes back down to normal range.

Since you didn't list a full set of test readings, I cannot advise you any more, but be aware that if you already have a high CYA reading, you should not use pool store powder shocks or tablets to keep your chlorine levels up. You would need to switch to liquid chlorine or Clorox to keep your FAC to shock and maintain FAC.
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

blue but cloudy

Postby tory921 » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 19:51

My levels are:

TH 200
FC 0
PH 8.2
TA 130
CYA 100

Thanks !
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 21:18

Your CYA is pretty high.
Your pH is high.
Your alk is high but still okay.
Your FC is not good at all.

You need to use a lot of liquid chlorine to get to shock level and keep it high day and night for 2 or 3 days or whenever it keeps high at night.

With a CYA of 100 your shock level should be at least 25. If you don't have a test kit that will test that high, I recommend getting one. You want to look for a kit that has FAS/DPD.

You didn't give me your pool volume in gallons. But, for each 10,000 gallons of water - You will need 4.5 gallons of regular strength Clorox to get it to 25 from 0.
If you use pool store liquid chlorine which may be 10% or 12.5% - you will need 2.5 gallons of 10% or 2 gallons of 12.5%

Get plenty extra because you will need to add quite a bit daily to keep it up to 25. When it stays up there over night, you can then let it drop.

Get muriatic acid and bring your pH down. For 10K gallons of water, you will need 4 cups of muriatic acid. I wouldn't use more than 4 cups per day for each 10K gallons of water. Don't let your pH go below 7.0, and try to keep it in 7.2 - 7.4 range.

With so much CYA, when you vacuum, I would vacuum to waste (if your filter/valve has that capability) and refill with fresh water. Eventually your CYA should come down. Ideal is 30 - 50ppm.

Run your pump 7/24 until your water is balanced and clear. Your cloudiness is a combination of dead algae and too high of a pH.
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

blue but cloudy

Postby tory921 » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 21:59

Those readings were from earlier this afternoon........the evening readings a bit ago were:

TH 200
FC 1
PH 8.0
TA 120
CYA 60

I added water to my pool so I don't know if this has anything to do with the FC levels. I did add two gallons of liquid chlorine and it raised the level up a bit. I've been vacuuming like crazy but even though its blue, its cloudy at the bottom. You can see the vacuum, but barely. It seems like when I add chlorine my PH level went up...........is this normal? Are the levels too far off to actually use the pool? I know my son wants to swim and tomorrow should be a nice day....we don't get too many of those here ! Thanks again
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 15 Jun, 2007 22:09

Yes, with liquid chlorine your pH has a tendency to rise. It's easier to lower pH than it is to lower CYA, so that's why using liquid chlorine is better than using pucks or pool store dry shock.

As long as your chlorine level is at 5ppm or under he can swim. You will probably need to add some chlorine tonight, else you will most likely have FC of 0 in the morning.

Treat for the pH tonight. I wouldn't let him swim until about 4 - 8 hours after adding muriatic acid.
Hemlock

Cloudy Pool Also

Postby Hemlock » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:22

I have a 25,000 gallon pool.

TH 75
TC 1
FC 1
PH 7.2
TA 120

My pool is also very cloudy and blue. I run it 24/7. I have swept to waste numerous times. I drained about 2 1/2 ft. and refilled it. I get the pool place to check the chemicals every week and I also do it on my own. There is no algae and nothing on the bottom. The backwash is always filthy. My kids are dying to swim. Any help is wonderful.
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

blue but cloudy

Postby tory921 » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 11:57

Well all levels are in range except for the ph......however it dropped to 7.9. The water is very blue but still you can't see the bottom. I don't know what else to do. The filter has been running constantly but it never seems to get any better. Any other ideas??
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 12:51

Keep bringing your pH down to the right range and keep your chlorine high.

It will clear, keep running the pump.
lynnscloudypool

cloudy but blue water

Postby lynnscloudypool » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 14:40

Hi
I just opened my pool. Water seems clear but it was a light blue but green look . I lowered th PH and shocked it and I but a bit of Algeacide in it and now it is very cloudy...?
What did i do wrong?
my readings are
chlorine 1
ph 6.8
alkalinity 80
thanks
tory921
I'm new here
I'm new here

blue but cloudy

Postby tory921 » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 18:54

well I kept my levels as you said and by sunday morning I could see the bottom. Today I swept it and it looks like a pool again !! Thanks so much for all your help !
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 22:47

Tory - Great job!!!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: cloudy but blue water

Postby Buggsw » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 22:49

lynnscloudypool wrote:Hi
I just opened my pool. Water seems clear but it was a light blue but green look . I lowered th PH and shocked it and I but a bit of Algeacide in it and now it is very cloudy...?
What did i do wrong?
my readings are
chlorine 1
ph 6.8
alkalinity 80
thanks

You didn't do anything wrong. You need to get your pH up to at least 7.0 if it is a vinyl pool. What you are seeing is dead algae. Just run your pump 7/24, brush and vacuum frequently, backwash if necessary and your pool will clear in a few days. Keep that pump running until it does.
Lynnscludypool

Re: cloudy but blue water

Postby Lynnscludypool » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:50

[You didn't do anything wrong. You need to get your pH up to at least 7.0 if it is a vinyl pool. What you are seeing is dead algae. Just run your pump 7/24, brush and vacuum frequently, backwash if necessary and your pool will clear in a few days. Keep that pump running until it does.[/quote]

Thank you for your help . Should I shock it or get a ph increaser?
Lynnscloudypool

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”