Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
kmb997
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pump and Filter questions

Postby kmb997 » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 00:41

I have an Intex 18'x48" metal frame pool that I'm about to setup. It is a little less than 6500 gallons according to Intex's website. I would like to upgrade the pump and filter and possibly the plumbing before I set it up. I'm not sure if I need to completely change the plumbing or just make some modifications to the included hoses? I see where some people here are adding additional lines with their upgrades. Any suggestions on how to do this and is it necessary for easy low-no maintenance?

I'm trying to decide between a sand filter and a cartridge filter. I'm looking for the easiest, fastest, and cheapest way to filter my pool. I've read about each and kind of leaning towards a sand filter. I have no idea which size sand filter would be good for my pool. I know a bigger filter is better, but this is my first pool and I don't know if 19", 21",24" etc. is good enough. I'm sure they are all good enough, but which is the best for low-no maintenance? Also, which brand is the best bang for my buck? Looking for good quality and durability for a cheap price.

Next, which size pump should I get? Can I get by with a 1/2hp. pump? Also, should I get a 1 or 2 speed and should this pump be uprated or fullrated? Again, which brand is the best bang for my buck? I've read the posts and other websites about how to choose a pump, but it is all over my head. Also, what brand of timers does everyone recommend for their pump? I know my Intex is a cheap pool, but I would like to make the above, costly, upgrades now to help with maintenance because of my schedule.

Sorry so many questions, but my wife is on me about setting this thing up. I just want to do it right from the beginning to hopefully avoid any problems in the future.

I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks

corky
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby corky » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 13:11

Hi,
I had a small 5000 3ft splasher pool that came with a cartridge filter and it worked great...just had to hose it off once a week. I imagine that I could have also put a timer on it to make life easier, but I just would put it on in the late afternoon and turn it off before going in...then I'd put it on about an hour b4 the kids went in to clean the top. It worked very well.

I also had a friend who had an intex pool (the blue popup kind) and her filter worked great too.

I would say to save your money and use what they gave you. Just head off disaster by making sure you keep the pool well chlorinated (put those chlorine tabs in one of those floating despensers), use baking soda for Ph, buy a test kid to test Ph and Cholorine levels and buy a leaf vacuum - which was better than what came with my pool. In 10 minutes I'd have my 18' pool clean. We used that pool for 5 summers and my kids loved it.
mamawifey

Re: Pump and Filter questions

Postby mamawifey » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:30

kmb997 wrote:I have an Intex 18'x48" metal frame pool that I'm about to setup. It is a little less than 6500 gallons according to Intex's website. I would like to upgrade the pump and filter and possibly the plumbing before I set it up. I'm not sure if I need to completely change the plumbing or just make some modifications to the included hoses? I see where some people here are adding additional lines with their upgrades. Any suggestions on how to do this and is it necessary for easy low-no maintenance?

I'm trying to decide between a sand filter and a cartridge filter. I'm looking for the easiest, fastest, and cheapest way to filter my pool. I've read about each and kind of leaning towards a sand filter. I have no idea which size sand filter would be good for my pool. I know a bigger filter is better, but this is my first pool and I don't know if 19", 21",24" etc. is good enough. I'm sure they are all good enough, but which is the best for low-no maintenance? Also, which brand is the best bang for my buck? Looking for good quality and durability for a cheap price.

And I think you actually have about 7600 gallons of water in your 18' pool.

Next, which size pump should I get? Can I get by with a 1/2hp. pump? Also, should I get a 1 or 2 speed and should this pump be uprated or fullrated? Again, which brand is the best bang for my buck? I've read the posts and other websites about how to choose a pump, but it is all over my head. Also, what brand of timers does everyone recommend for their pump? I know my Intex is a cheap pool, but I would like to make the above, costly, upgrades now to help with maintenance because of my schedule.

Sorry so many questions, but my wife is on me about setting this thing up. I just want to do it right from the beginning to hopefully avoid any problems in the future.

I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks

Hi,
IMHO, go with the sand filter. It's easier to maintain and it cleans the water up better. I'm sure you could get by with a 1/2 HP pump, but you'd have to run it a lot longer to get the job done. You'll save over the long run if you get the 1HP. I love the Hayward line of pool filters/pumps. www(dot)haywardnet(dot)com

These filters can last a long time if you take care of them correctly!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Pump and Filter questions

Postby Backglass » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:21

mamawifey wrote:IMHO, go with the sand filter. It's easier to maintain and it cleans the water up better. I'm sure you could get by with a 1/2 HP pump, but you'd have to run it a lot longer to get the job done. You'll save over the long run if you get the 1HP. I love the Hayward line of pool filters/pumps.

I agree on all points except the pump sizing. 1hp is WAY too big for your pool. 1/2hp will be more than enough. It is very common to oversize pumps in the pool business and it does more harm than good, (in addition to using a lot more electricity).

The key is to buy a pump that has the correct FLOW not HP. You want enough flow to "turn over" your entire pools water in 8-10 hours. Every pump manufacturer has a flowchart that shows how many gallons per minute it can pump through a given pipe size. You want to match the flow to the filter and both to the pool volume. If you get a pump that is too big for your filter, it literally pushes the water through too fast, reducing the efficiency of the filter and raising the psi.

When it comes to pumps...less is more.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”