shock turns pool greeen

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
lcohen

shock turns pool greeen

Postby lcohen » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:05

I've had some problems with my automatic chlorinator, so I've been putting tablets in my skimmer for a week, and needed to shock my pool as the chloramines level was rising, and I was getting a few algae spots - so I put some algaecide in at about 6am, and then at about 6pm, I put in about 3 lbs of 70% chlorine powder shock, along with about a pound of soda ash - the pool was at about 7.2 ph - and went inside the house - about an hour later when my wife got home and she looked at the pool, she said - "Why is the pool green?" - and so here I am ---- asking the same question - has anybody heard of shocking the pool causing an algae bloom? The pool is pretty clear, but it has a serious green tinge to it, or maybe it's something else?

me_too

Re: shock turns pool greeen

Postby me_too » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 09:14

Have the water tested for iron and copper.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 13:01

You are getting a chemical reaction to copper in the water.

If you have a heater or have been using copper based algaecides, could explain why you have copper.
lcohen

Have been using metal free

Postby lcohen » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 16:05

Ouch - when I opened the pool this year, I had some serious staining, and did the whole citric acid stain removal thing, and followed with 2 quarts of metal free (pool is 25,000 gal) - and have been putting 8 oz of metal free in every week since then - you would think that would control the copper - had the water tested this morning, pool company said copper was ok, have not been using copper based algaecides, is it possible a really low level of copper would cause the green?
lcohen

Postby lcohen » Sat 16 Jun, 2007 16:06

Oh, BTW, no heater
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 22:35

Hmmm, I wonder what the copper level was. Did they tell you it was 0?

The only things I know that will turn water green is copper reaction or algae. Usually a different type of green.
lcohen

update

Postby lcohen » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 05:55

they did, in fact say the copper level was nil, but the store owner said there may be a little copper anyway - however, I did have a phosphorus level of about 500 ish, and I dumped a bottle of phosphate remover into the pool - got rid of the greeen tinge almost immediately, and turned the water nice and cloudy, as was expected. The water cleared after about 2 days, when I shocked to get the chloramines out (up over 2 ppm by now), which also turned the water cloudy, but is now clearing after 2 days - I can see the drain clearly (It's nine feet down), but the pool isn't crystal clear yet, I may have to use a clarifier or flocculant. The chlorine level is staying high, I turned down the auto chlorinator, as the FC was over 10 2 days after a 25 ppm shock. I've had to brush some algae from corners/seams, but maybe that will taper off.

Thanks for all your help. I'm continuing with weekly Metal free, and adding weekly PoolPerfect/PhosFree to the mix - if anyone has any other weekly maintenance tips, feel free to share, seems the weekly $$ going into the pool keeps adding up, but hopefully it saves the rescue $$.

Lenny
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 22:31

Well, that's interesting.

Phosphates seem to be a highly debated topic. Many people say you shouldn't have to worry about them. Personally, I think when you have tried everything else, if you do have a high phosphate level you should get it down. In your case, you hit on the right thing and that's super.

One thing about the floc/clarifier. Seriously, I resist using those things. Usually, if you are patient enough, and run your filter 7/24 you will clear up in about the same time you would if you used a floc and save a good deal of money doing it. Besides, flocs/clarifiers add a lot of sulphates which can be problematic when built up, too.

Great job! Thanks for getting back with the info.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”