Adding chemicals, vacuuming, backwashing,
brushing, filter care, filter cleaning, replacing
worn or broken pool parts
poolnewbieKS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Automatic Pool Cleaner

Postby poolnewbieKS » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 09:24

I am an owner of a new inground, fibreglass (Viking) pool. 15,000 gallons, with lots of curves, benches and stairs. Automatic cover. Does anyone know which is the best automatic pool cleaner to use for this application? I have seen Polaris, Dolphin, Robot, etc... but which one do use for the least amount of work? I would like to use one that will vacuum and scrub the walls and floor for me, to reduce the amount of work. I have a vacuum line already installed and want to use that to install the auto cleaner, and want to avoid installing a new pump especially for the vacuum. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 14:30

The Dolphins, Aquabots and Blue Diamond type cleaners don't hook up to any suction line. They are selfcontained, which means nothing they pick up goes to your filter. They are more expensive but extremely good at filtering down to 2 microns.

To hook up hoses to a vacuum port - you will want to look at the Polaris or Hayward Navigator for suction side cleaners.
poolnewbieKS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolnewbieKS » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 22:57

Ok I have been doing some reading about the different ones available now. What i dont understand is that while right now (being a new pool owner and without taking care of it for very long) I am most concerned about leaves and insects at the bottom off the pool - do need I really need to be concerned about 2 microns, isn't that drinking quality(jk)?

I would hate to buy a suction side cleaner though, and then regret it and wish i had a pressure one... but it seems a bit excessive? And another thing, are they really that good? I mean is it going to make my pool crystal clear, no bugs, no leaves, dirt, etc.? All the time?

What pressure cleaner do think would be the best for this size pool and make me do the least amount of work?

Thanks
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 00:11

So your vac port is pressure side? People seem to like the Polaris 360 or 380's. I personally have never owned a pressure side cleaner.

Naw, you don't have to worry about 2 microns - though, I can tell the difference just by looking at a pool. Most people can only tell at night when looking at the water near the pool light. 2 micron is the same quality as a DE filter. The other advantage of the robots is the stuff doesn't go to your filter - which increases the time between backwashing or cleaning cartridge filters.

Get what you need to make your life easier at a price that makes sense to you. There are all price ranges out there. Here's a tip - if you purchase a cleaner at a place like Costco or Sam's Club or Hammacher Schlemmer (an online store) you basically get a lifetime warranty, their return policies are so generous. You can buy one, try it and if you don't like it, those stores will let you bring it back, easily. So add that to the confusion of whether to find the cheapest online somewhere or pay a little more and go with a retailer that has generous return policies. I pondered and researched and studied for months before I bought my latest Blue Diamond robotic cleaner from an online supplier. I got 6 years out of my old Hayward Navigator without having to have any repairs, but it finally broke, was going to cost almost as much to fix it as it would be to buy a new one and it doesn't work so well in cold water. It was time for me to upgrade and I love robots. I also have a Roomba and a Scooba for the floors in my house - did I mention, I love robots? LOL!
poolnewbieKS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolnewbieKS » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 21:28

OK man, you sold me on that idea...I am big on computers and electronics too, and always opt for the teckie methods! I keep seeing the difference between the best polaris and the kmmost basic robot is about $200-$300, so at this stage in the game, after spending a small fortune to get the pool put in, i dont think i want to cheap out and get something that i am going to regret later!

My wife is after me to buy something quickly, otherwise i have to spend my evenings vacuuming the pool myself! LOL

But the question is which one is the best too use for fibre glass pools and will do the most work for me? The pool is odd shaped with lots of curves and a round bottom, with steps and seats - i dont want to scrub anything! If it was you, which one would you pick? I looked at the dolphin and aquabot, but even with just those two brands there are so many models!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 01:46

You can almost make yourself go mad trying to decide, can't you?

The Dolphins, personally, I'd stay away from. Some people have had great luck with them, but I've read too many problems. They are also kind of heavy. The Dolphins are slower and do not work well in cold water, as I recall if the water is below 70 it doesn't work. Most people complain heavily about their customer service. When they work, I hear they work well. As I said, you could take your chance - Costco has a heck of a deal online for a Dolphin Dynamic - if you don't like it take it back. If I were to buy a Dolphin, this is the model I would buy.

The Blue Diamond and the Blue Pearl are both excellant. The Blue Pearl is a little smaller but everyone I know who has one, just raves about it.
I bought the BD with the remote control because I have a special/weird situation, in that my pool has what I call toe stubbers in the bottom. It's an old pool, the returns are in the bottom of the pool. Other cleaners have a tendency to get hung up on the main drain and the toe stubbers. I thought, I needed the remote control mainly to get the 'bot out of trouble. Well, in hindsight, a non-remote control or the Blue Pearl would have been just fine. That BD really gets up and goes, sails right over the toe stubbers. Good warranties on either. Home Depot, online sells the Blue Pearl, in case you are interested in buying from a known entity.

I have never heard anything bad about the Aquabot Turbo's. I originally had my heart set on the Turbo T4 again, because of the remote control.
However, I couldn't find a really good deal on one unless I bought from an unauthorized dealer. Aquabot has strict warnings about that, claiming that many unauthorized dealers strip the 'bot down and use inferior parts on them to sell them cheaper. Aquabot also has a couple of newer models that I've heard are excellent, too. The Viva and the Bravo, which I've heard are OEM's of the Blue Diamond and Blue Pearl. Somehow, the two companies are somewhat related. One is the son of the other, or something like that. They are selling those with really good warranties, whereas the Turbos are pro-rated. Costco sells some Aquabot Turbo C's. I think that is an older model. Once again - Costco has liberal return policies you can order it online and return it at any Costco store if you don't like it.

One other difference between the Blue's and the Turbos, the cord for the Blue's is a floating cord, whereas the Turbos and Dolphins, they give you floats for them. Don't know that it makes a difference. I'm not sure about the Viva and Bravo's offhand. They came out right at the time I had already ordered my Blue - I'd expect their cords float, too.

Oh, and I and many other users have freeform pools, too. Not a problem it seems with the Aquabots nor the Blues.
Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 08:02

We use to put in Polaris in all our pools, we have since changed to the Pentair Legend because it gets every ledge and corner. We also stopped using the polaris booster pump because of new universal one produced alot less noise. Good Luck
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
costwo

pool robots

Postby costwo » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:42

The best plug in robot is the tiger shark (white in color) much like the aquabot and dolphin but has no bag to clean out. it has 2 filters .
I have had aquabot it worked good until i realized that the wheels on it were burred and were wearing my new liner out. I tried to get compensation from aquabot they blamed it on inferior liner . Liner co. blamed it on robot. It was definitely the robot! thewn i went and bought a dolphin. It worked great.
Last year took it out of the shed plugged it in and no power. i am still trying to get info on repair s for that one . Then I bought the tiger shark and I love it 2 seasons now and still gowing strong!
Polaris wore my sisters liner color out and got hooked up on her drain all of the time. Also had to back wash filter all of the time. With tiger shark you empty a cartridge it doesn't go in your filter.
I bought mine from swimming hole ...on ebay . good luck!
poolnewbieKS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolnewbieKS » Sun 01 Jul, 2007 16:43

I ordered a Blue Pearl...It was the most affordable at of all of them. Supposed to get here this week - I will let you know the results once I try it a couple of times.

Thanks for your input everyone!
poolnewbieKS
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby poolnewbieKS » Fri 06 Jul, 2007 00:09

In got my new Blue Pearl yesterday....and i can very honestly say this is the BEST thing since sliced bread! No Joke. I took out of the box and dropped it in the pool, plugged it in and let it do its thing. 3 hours later my pool was looking a lot better. So i took out the bag and cleaned it, i couldnt believe the stuff that came out.

So i dropped it in the pool again and by the second cycle it was crystal clear! I havent seen it this clear since the day it was installed. Man - what a difference!

My question right now is: can it just stay in the pool all the time? Since you are not supposed to put it on the ground on its brushes, and i'm a bit worried about the elements outside messing with it, i thought it could just reside at the bottom of the pool all the time. I can just go outside and turn it on (or better yet, put it on a timer) and then when it turns off, it can just stay there...i know, i know, how lazy can you get, but the only reason i got it, is because i'm lazy, right? - LOL

I read through the manual and couldnt find anything that put a time limit on how long the Blue Pearl can stay in the bottom of the pool. Does anyone have any ideas on that subject?
Edward

Phantom

Postby Edward » Tue 10 Jul, 2007 18:19

Has anyone tried the Hayward Phantom??
Nearly $1,600 Canadian and my navigator does a better job.
It gets hung up everywhere,corners,sides, everywhere. Does its little 90 degree jiggle which is supposed to unhang it.. Should have been a 135 degree because 90 does nothing......Ed

Return to “Routine Pool Cleaning & Maintenance”