pool deck lifting

Construction or upgrading of new or existing
swimming pools. Pool building materials and
miscellaneous construction techniques.
upset in WC

pool deck lifting

Postby upset in WC » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 13:01

I re-did my entire backyard: pool, deck around pool, landscaping including sprinkler system. Then in less than 4 months, I noticed the deck (cement with ribbons of brick) slightly lifting at the corner of the pool at shallow end. The cement/deck guy said he did everything correctly, and I do believe him. We checked to make sure there was no water loss from the sprinklers, or the pool and it does not seem so. Anyways, the cement around the coping of the pool is now (almost 2 years from finish) visably lifting all around the pool, with the worst areas (approx 3/4 in.) at the steps end and the opposite deep end of pool. The cauking around the pool is lifted also. The interesting thing is that the reason I repaired the deck in the first place was that the cement was lifting. Now, after all the $$$ I invested, it looks like it is doing the same thing. No one wants to take responsibility. The cement/deck guy blames it on the type of dirt (clay-like) that we have in our area. He says that it expands as it drys after getting wet.
Does any of this sound familiar to anyone out there and what could I do. I don't want to fix it until I can also fix the cause, or it will happen again.

pool deck lifting

Postby Guest » Thu 24 Jan, 2008 11:53

How funny. I am going throught he same thing and the pool company saif the same thing..dirt/clay, soil expansion, etc. What a waste of $$$ and what a joke.

Postby Guest » Fri 25 Jan, 2008 16:24

if you live in a freeze/thaw area this is inevitable and unavoidable.

Return to “Building, Construction & Rebuilds”