noisy pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
maggieMae48

noisy pump

Postby maggieMae48 » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 20:21

Pump was fine until daughter put a fountain on. While the pressure is good, the pump makes a loud noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Postby Guest » Wed 01 Aug, 2007 08:53

My pump is doing the same thing. I was told it was the barrens that need replaced
pool tech

pump noise

Postby pool tech » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 04:21

unfortunatley it cost more to have the bearring replace than to get a new motor. So you both need new motors for your pump to stop the squeeling.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: noisy pump

Postby Backglass » Sat 04 Aug, 2007 09:05

maggieMae48 wrote:Pump was fine until daughter put a fountain on. While the pressure is good, the pump makes a loud noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? From the motor end or pump end? Can you describe the noise?

Anonymous wrote:My pump is doing the same thing. I was told it was the barrens that need replaced

Bearings? If the bearings were bad, they would be bad all the time. Besides you generally don't replace bearings in a pool pump motor. Are you sure you don't mean the pump seal?
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
handyjoe

noisy pump

Postby handyjoe » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 19:17

OOps, some one assumed that your noisy pump needs to be replaced with out knowing what tye of pump is causing the noisy problen. If it is a large swing pool pump then thoes bearings are replaceable. If it is a smaller ornmantel or poind type pump then I agree, replace ment is the best way to go, but first check the impeller. Yes it could be due to a bearing wearing out or a foregin object (pebel, stone, branch) could have gotten into the impeller. Good luck.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 19:44

Except we don't even know what the noise is. It could just be air in the system.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 20:18

does the pump make noise with fountain off?
when fountain was turned on did the pump make noise right then or after awhile?
is the pressure on the filter still the same? does the gauge work?
like backglass asked have you put your ear down to the pump/motor and listened to where it seems to be coming from.

If motor, like already stated,
if pump then maybe impeller.

investigate more

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”