BBB Method Recommendations For Normal Operation

A BBB guide to supermarket poolcare.
Use store-bought bleach, baking soda
and borax to replace proprietary pool chemicals.
JIMNSC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JIMNSC » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 19:56

Hi - I'm the guy who had no FC and ultra high CYA. Still have the Ultra high CYA but have finally overcome chlorine block. I now have decent FC, pH, alalinity, etc. numbers. I am working daily to reduce CYA by dropping water by 8 inches and re-filling.

I have been using 3" Triclor tabs in the skimmer. What should I use now, how much and how often - or - jut be guided by the numbers? I'm wondering if I resort to "total" BBB or will it still be a combo of chemicals.

Mucho thanks for your patience and know-how.

Jim

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 20:49

If your CYA is high, you want to use either un-stabilized granular chlorine or plain bleach. Here in NY you can get 6% ultra bleach at wal-mart for under $2.00...plus they are oversized (174oz versus 128oz).

I would go for the bleach as it's much cheaper and readily available and let the number guide you on dosage.
JIMNSC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JIMNSC » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 20:52

Yes, thanks, that's how I eliminated the chlorine block - 12 of those jugs. Now that I have free chlorine I'm wondering whether to eliminate the 3" Triclor tabs and go strictly BBB. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're recommending stopping the use of the tabs, right?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 21:13

JIMNSC wrote:Yes, thanks, that's how I eliminated the chlorine block - 12 of those jugs. Now that I have free chlorine I'm wondering whether to eliminate the 3" Triclor tabs and go strictly BBB. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're recommending stopping the use of the tabs, right?

Correct. The tabs have CYA in them (hence the "stabilized" on the label). If you continue to use them you will eventually be back in the same, blocked boat.
JIMNSC
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JIMNSC » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 21:23

Many thanks, Backglass. Just what I need to know and thanks for the patience.

Jim

P.S. 5 trouble free years and I thought it was easy...... :lol:
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:48

JIMNSC wrote:Many thanks, Backglass. Just what I need to know and thanks for the patience.

Jim

P.S. 5 trouble free years and I thought it was easy...... :lol:

I hear ya. I had an 15 foot round pool for years and never had a problem. It was a small pool, and when I backwashed I always let it run for awhile. I was always diluting the CYA and never knew it!
soni

BBB

Postby soni » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 17:45

I understand the BBB is bleach, borax and baking soda. Which is used to increase the PH
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 23 Aug, 2008 18:26

Borax increases pH. However, when using bleach, the pH will tend to rise due to outgassing of carbon dioxide. Though this can be reduced through having a lower TA level, usually you are adding Muriatic Acid every once in a while when you use bleach or chlorinating liquid (or even Cal-Hypo) as your source of chlorine.

If you keep the TA lower or have a pool cover, you can pretty much just add only chlorine and not need any other chemicals at all. In my own pool I use only 12.5% chlorinating liquid and only every couple of months I add some Muriatic Acid to slightly lower the pH. I have an electric opaque pool cover so that helps stabilize the pH a lot. I never have to use anything to raise the pH nor do I ever need to raise the TA because my fill water has around 80 ppm TA so keeps it up in spite of the small amount of outgassing.

You can learn much more about BBB and simplified pool maintenance at The Pool School.

Richard

Return to “BBB Pool Care”