Tiny bubbles shooting out of jets from pump/filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
johnnybgood

Tiny bubbles shooting out of jets from pump/filter

Postby johnnybgood » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 22:20

I recently have hundreds of small bubbles shooting out of both jets into the pool every second.

The pressure seems fine and the same, but there is a water and air mix shooting out.

Please help or make suggestions.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:53

Either you have a leak on the suction side or maybe your filter just needs a good backwashing. I had one pool that would only do that when I let the filter pressure get too high. What is most likely happening is the pump is sucking in air from either the filter basket on the pump or somewhere along the suction line. Do you have air in your filter basket now?
aggies01

Air Bubbles

Postby aggies01 » Sun 15 Jul, 2007 21:31

I have the same problem. Air bubbles are coming out from two of my five jets while running around 25-30 psi, while 12-15 has been the norm. I backwashed, then cleaned my DE filter grids, only to realize four of the grids had broken skeletal plastic.

I purchased new grids (all 8), charged them with DE and let the pool run. I also replaced the O-ring gasket on the pump as I noticed water drops coming from beneath the lid (original gasket was about 5 years old). Right now, the pressure is about 12 psi, but bubbles are still coming out of the two jets. I am at a loss as to where the air is coming from as well as how to stop it.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:43

Another common reason is an oversized pump. Many pool companies sell pumps that are WAY too big for the filters and pools, rather than do the math and figure out the correct size. Plus they make more money that way.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”