Filled pool with well water!

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Fleefla24

Filled pool with well water!

Postby Fleefla24 » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:21

We filled our 15' pool with well water, and we are trying to clear it up. Obviously we have alot of iron in the water, but I'm not sure what steps to take first. We have shocked it, and the chlorine level is high.(waiting for it to go down) What now? Is there something I can use to remove the iron faster than the filter?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:28

You have to add what is called a "Sequestrant" to get out metals. Pool stores will have a "Metal Magnet" or "Metal Out" type product. The filter alone wont remove the iron from the water.

Take a water sample to the pool store for testing and get some.

Re: Filled pool with well water!

Postby Guest » Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:20

Fleefla24 wrote:We filled our 15' pool with well water, and we are trying to clear it up. Obviously we have alot of iron in the water, but I'm not sure what steps to take first. We have shocked it, and the chlorine level is high.(waiting for it to go down) What now? Is there something I can use to remove the iron faster than the filter?

The first thing you want to take care of is the iron. Work on maintaining your cholrine level, and then work on the other stuff like pH, alkalinity, and calcium.

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Jul, 2007 10:45

Get your chlorine very close to ZERO, lower your Ph with muriatic acid (from lowes paint isle, don't get pool stored into paying big $$$)
once Ph is 6.8 or so add absorbic acid (vitamin C) powder. this will clean up the stain, then backflush then add the metal sequesterant (you'll need to do this every so often to ensure that stains don't return.)

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”