Green pool problem

The Pool Wizard, Nature2, the Frog and other mineral systems for
simpler pool care. Non-chlorine Pristine Blue, Rainforest Blue and similar.
Davis

Green pool problem

Postby Davis » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:21

Okay here's my question. I got a 15000 gallon inground that has turned boggy. Its dark green and full of algea. Will the Pool Wizard kill the algae and make my pool clear and blue? What should I do to get the water right?

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Green pool problem

Postby Larry » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:30

Hi Davis and welcome to the swimming pool forums.

The Pool Wizard was designed and developed to control and prevent algae growth. It unfortunately will not solve an existing pool algae problem. The Pool Wizard should be installed in pools that are free or almost free from algae.

In order to gain maximum benefit from the active minerals in the Pool Wizard, a green pool such as yours should be treated for the excessive algae first. We recommend a shock treatment to destroy as much of the algae as possible. When the green color disappears, the Pool Wizard can be installed. It is not necessary to wait for the cloudiness to go away completely before putting the Pool Wizard into the pool.

The reasoning behind this is as follows: the active minerals destroy the algae but end up in a weakened state, being rejuvenated as they pass through the alloy electrode in the unit. If the algae load is too high, the rejuvenation is far too slow and the minerals may end up self-destructing. The Pool Wizard will give up to 9 months of protection from algae and bacteria when installed in a clear pool, but may burn themselves out in a much shorter time if put into a pool with a serious algae bloom.

We can liken this process to the flu. A daily multi-vitamin will prevent the illness, but once you have a raging fever the vitamins do little for you. A strong dose of antibiotics is the remedy in this situation. The vitamins are the active minerals, providing protection on a daily basis, and the chlorine shock is the antibiotics to destroy the problem once it gets out of control.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily. If not, please post back here.

Larry
Davis

Green pool problem

Postby Davis » Mon 27 Feb, 2006 15:23

Thanks Larry for that simple clear explaination.

I think first I have to shock the pool. I have ordered a Pool wizard and will put it in when the water has cleared some.

I will keep you updated on my progress.
Davis

My pool

Postby Davis » Wed 08 Mar, 2006 03:21

I had my water tested and the cyanuric acid was wy high. I emptyed the pool cleaned and filled again. I put in the Pool wizard yesterday like the instructions say in my skimmer after adding chlorine.

Is there anything else I must do? My pool looks good with the fresh water.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Pool Wizard installation

Postby Larry » Wed 08 Mar, 2006 10:54

Hi Davis

Thanks for the update.

You've done all that was necessary. Keep track of the cyanuric acid level; it shouldn't go over 80ppm. Keep a residual of free chlorine of around 0.5ppm, and try keep the pH within the 7.0-7.6 range.

I'm certain your problems are over and pool maintenance will be a breeze from now on.
Davis

Beautifull pool water now

Postby Davis » Sun 26 Mar, 2006 17:43

Thank you Pool wizard. My pool is GREAT. I am adding nearly no chlorin and the water looks good enough to drink. You saved me so much time and work.
Thanks! :D
Davis

Green pool problem

Postby Davis » Thu 19 Mar, 2009 04:20

Wow! I forgot about this forum after I got the hang of pool care. :wink:

A lot of water has passed under the bridge and worrying about my pool is something I never do - my pool has remained clear and blue since my last visit in 2006.

I now use BBB method and I owe it all to you guys here at this forum. :D

Return to “Swimming Pool Mineral Systems”