Poolpum works - High Pressure Filter Gauge - NO FLOW!

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Martin M

Poolpum works - High Pressure Filter Gauge - NO FLOW!

Postby Martin M » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 22:06

Out of the blue the pump stoppe pulling prime. I resealed all the couplings/fittings expecitng an air leak and still the same occurs.

I can see the water in the basket being splashed around by the impeller, but no water is being pulled in from the skiimer or main drain.

I fill the pump basket with water/seal and fire it up and I only get an incremental increase in the pressure gauge on my filter (30psi).

My backflow preventer had made some clicking sounds a while ago. Do those often go bad and stop water flow through the returns, hens stopping the pump from getting prime?

DanO
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DanO » Tue 19 Jun, 2007 23:46

I don't know what that backflow preventer is, because I don't have anything like that in my pool. If you have high pressure building up in the filter, I would think that something is plugging up the filter outlet or the return line, or perhaps the backwash valve has gone haywire. If it were a problem on the suction side, you wouldn't see any pressure to speak of at the filter.

If you put the valve on backwash, will it pump water out? If so, I'd take the valve apart and see if something went wrong with it, or if something is clogging it up on the filter side.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”