Salty taste in pool water

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
OceanWay
I'm new here
I'm new here

Salty taste in pool water

Postby OceanWay » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:29

I use a liquid chlorine feeder for a 26,000 gallon pool. I have noted that as the season progresses the water becomes more and more salty in taste (duh....chlorine is basically a salt itself!), but my question is this: Is there any way to decrease the levels of salt to minimize the taste? All of my chemical tests come out in the normal range, so was not sure how to handle this problem, and almost everyone seems to notice and comment on it. Thanks for any help!!!

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 22:01

You probably have a high ppm of TDS - Total dissolved solids. Your water probably also has a slightly dull appearance instead of being sparkly.

Can only be corrected by dilution.

Most busy pools don't get a high TDS because of splash out from high volume of bather load, or frequent backwashing which causes you to lose and refill water often. So you get adequate dilution.

Here in the arid desert, we get a lot of evaporation which causes TDS to get high and our fill water starts out with a higher TDS.

Also, if you use dry acid or liquid clarifiers a lot, they add sulphates which increase your TDS.

Postby Guest » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:59

WHY ARE PEOPLE DRINKING YOUR POOL WATER??
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:08

I'll bet that no one is actually drinking the pool water, but water does get on the lips and a few drops to get into the mouth so one can taste the water.

As was said, the TDS got high so and it's mostly salt. You can check your salt (chloride) level using an AquaCheck test strip (it's actually accurate for this purpose though takes time, about 30 seconds, to fully develop) or use the Taylor K-1766 here.

The salt can only be removed through dilution of the pool water -- partial drain/refill.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”