cloudy

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
iscreem61

cloudy

Postby iscreem61 » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 09:47

opened pool 3 weeks ago was green brushed pool added shock, aleg. clearifier, ran filter 24/7 after shocking numerous times finally turned blue however cloudy kept shocking pool like the pool store said and kept fliter going 24/7 last nite they told me to raise my ph to 8.0 and floc it they told me add ph+ 2lbs wait 15 min the put filter to recirculate position add floc to pool keep it on recirc. for 4 to 6 hours then turn fliter off wait over nite and i should see white stuff on the bottom of pool did that done that dont see much white stuff its been eight hours since i shut filter off and pool still cloudy though i can see the botton of my steps what should i do?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: cloudy

Postby Backglass » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:10

iscreem61 wrote:opened pool 3 weeks ago was green brushed pool added shock, aleg. clearifier, ran filter 24/7 after shocking numerous times finally turned blue however cloudy kept shocking pool like the pool store said and kept fliter going 24/7 last nite they told me to raise my ph to 8.0 and floc it they told me add ph+ 2lbs wait 15 min the put filter to recirculate position add floc to pool keep it on recirc. for 4 to 6 hours then turn fliter off wait over nite and i should see white stuff on the bottom of pool did that done that dont see much white stuff its been eight hours since i shut filter off and pool still cloudy though i can see the botton of my steps what should i do?

Relax! It can take 24-48 hours for floc to settle (pool store should have told you that). Give it time and don't turn on the pump
iscreem61

cloudy

Postby iscreem61 » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:51

Oh ok thanks I'm hoping this fixes the problem spent close to $300.00 on this between the chemicals and the pool guy to look at my filter. It's killing me.
Thanks,
Eileen
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:55

I hear ya! The thing about floc is it takes time. I remember the first time I did it, i waited 24 hours, and nothing happened. I thought for sure I screwed up. Then the next morning when I woke up (32 or so hours), the pool was crystal clear and there were what looked like cotton balls covering the floor of the pool.

When your floc does kick in, you will need to vacuum to waste very slowly. You seriously have to GENTLY put the vacuum in and move slowly while sucking up all the fluff or it will disperse back into a cloudy mess. You will lose some water of course, but take your time. You will be glad you did afterwards.
Gherkin

Cloudy Pool water

Postby Gherkin » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 18:58

My pool water has ben very cloudy all this year, but I think I know why.
I discovered that two mallards(ducks) were taking a swim in the pool at first light. Before they left, they each pooped in the pool.
No pool chemicals can cope with this amount of pollution. The only solution I can think of is to sit up all night with a loaded shotgun.
All you folks out there who are tearing your hair out about cloudy pool water should make quite sure that no birds or animals can defaecate in your pool during the night.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Cloudy Pool water

Postby Backglass » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 20:32

Gherkin wrote:The only solution I can think of is to sit up all night with a loaded shotgun.

Or a solar cover. Ducks wont swim in plastic. ;)
iscreem61

Postby iscreem61 » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 07:44

Yay!! Thanks Backglass for the advice. I'm happy to say my water is clear the floc worked now I have to vaccum it real slow in waste position and hope I do it right as not to stir it up again . I am happy it worked. Thanks for your help.
Eileen
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 08:37

iscreem61 wrote:Yay!! Thanks Backglass for the advice. I'm happy to say my water is clear the floc worked now I have to vaccum it real slow in waste position and hope I do it right as not to stir it up again . I am happy it worked. Thanks for your help.
Eileen

Just go slow with EVERYTHING and take your time. Even putting the vac in the water! You will see what I mean when you start. ;)
Curt
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

cloudy water

Postby Curt » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 12:43

Here is good commentary on cloudy water.
i-love-my-aquabot-automatic-pool-cleaner dotcom/brown-pool-water dot html
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 23:01

Curt, great link. I loved the story about the Pink Algae and the bag with copper and sterling silver.
iscreem61

Postby iscreem61 » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:05

OK pool is clear now however when cleaning it I noticed little tiny bugs that jump when they get on you like fleas do what are these and how can I get rid of them they are gross Help me please :cry:
Thanks,
Eileen
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 19:53

iscreem61 wrote:OK pool is clear now however when cleaning it I noticed little tiny bugs that jump when they get on you like fleas do what are these and how can I get rid of them they are gross Help me please :cry:
Thanks,
Eileen

After all that downtime waiting for the floc, you probably ran out of all available chlorine. Shock and re-balance.
Amy

Great link Curt and others with much helpful info..

Postby Amy » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 21:38

I am fighting with high levels of phosphates and unable to get a clorine level at all. This is in lue of opening my pool 27ft above ground round, all chemicals based on 20,000 gal. of water. I started out with a very dark green swamp. Needless to say after cleaning out leaves, bugs, worms, and other discusting looking things. I tossed in 3 bags of shock while filling water to a level that I could start running my pump. I ran out to buy algee killer multi purpose for green/black/mustard. This product worked well in past years for me. Oh, before I could run my fileter I had to have my husband redo the pipes for me. I can't remember why but last year I decided to get the flex hoses. NEVER AGAIN. As soon as I started the pump, I got shot in the face with a stream of water where the hose decided to split in the seam. My son laughed so hard, I wanted to see if I could hold it maybe with duck tape to get the pool started, until I get hard pipes done. So I grabbed hold of the flex hose at the leak and the other one shot my son. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was clean water. But green sludge is another story. Needless to say off it went, I plugged it all. New pipes now chemicals in and running, numerous back washes refilll, vac to waste, over and over ect... more chemicals. Today I took water to get tested at a pool store. I am at my witts end. X amount of dollars later, today, I dumped a bottle of Phos free in 3 1/2 lbs of PH down , 6 lbs of turbo shock, and 60 algeside.... (not at one time) I brushed thoroughly and will wait to see what tomorrow brings, They told me to add 6lbs turbo shock in the am and the remaining 3 1/2 lbs PH down. Then later in the day vacume to waste. Day 3 another 3lbs shock. I was told not to use the shock plus.. My levels are as follows.

FAC 0.1
TC 0.3
Combined Chlorine 0.2
Total Alkalinity 146
PH 7.6
Cal hardness 151
Cyanuric Acid 37
Copper 0.0
Iron 0.0

Figures I have out of town company coming this weekend, and it looks as if they can all help me brush and vac the pool, I can hose them all down. LOL... Looking forward in clean water again. At least last year I had an easy start and season. Thanks for listening to me babble... I had to get this off my back. I love this site and will continue to read and learn more. Oh, this is my 8th season owning a pool. So far this is my worst experiance thus far.

Aim
Amy

update this morning

Postby Amy » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:04

This morning I checked my chemicals, No Cl reading again, my ph is low and alk looks good. I back washed and 4 lbs turbo shock, brushed well, I didn't want to add the remaining PH down, Should I anyway, I think I will wait till later today, I will check it again in about 4 hours and vacume to waste. Then decide what to do.

How does this sound?

Thanks
Aim
iscreem61

Postby iscreem61 » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 10:07

Thanks backglass for all your help I will do that today . Then I can swim again I love this site you guys are great :D

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”