cloudy

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
iscreem61

Postby iscreem61 » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:05

OK pool is clear now however when cleaning it I noticed little tiny bugs that jump when they get on you like fleas do what are these and how can I get rid of them they are gross Help me please :cry:
Thanks,
Eileen

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 19:53

iscreem61 wrote:OK pool is clear now however when cleaning it I noticed little tiny bugs that jump when they get on you like fleas do what are these and how can I get rid of them they are gross Help me please :cry:
Thanks,
Eileen

After all that downtime waiting for the floc, you probably ran out of all available chlorine. Shock and re-balance.
Amy

Great link Curt and others with much helpful info..

Postby Amy » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 21:38

I am fighting with high levels of phosphates and unable to get a clorine level at all. This is in lue of opening my pool 27ft above ground round, all chemicals based on 20,000 gal. of water. I started out with a very dark green swamp. Needless to say after cleaning out leaves, bugs, worms, and other discusting looking things. I tossed in 3 bags of shock while filling water to a level that I could start running my pump. I ran out to buy algee killer multi purpose for green/black/mustard. This product worked well in past years for me. Oh, before I could run my fileter I had to have my husband redo the pipes for me. I can't remember why but last year I decided to get the flex hoses. NEVER AGAIN. As soon as I started the pump, I got shot in the face with a stream of water where the hose decided to split in the seam. My son laughed so hard, I wanted to see if I could hold it maybe with duck tape to get the pool started, until I get hard pipes done. So I grabbed hold of the flex hose at the leak and the other one shot my son. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was clean water. But green sludge is another story. Needless to say off it went, I plugged it all. New pipes now chemicals in and running, numerous back washes refilll, vac to waste, over and over ect... more chemicals. Today I took water to get tested at a pool store. I am at my witts end. X amount of dollars later, today, I dumped a bottle of Phos free in 3 1/2 lbs of PH down , 6 lbs of turbo shock, and 60 algeside.... (not at one time) I brushed thoroughly and will wait to see what tomorrow brings, They told me to add 6lbs turbo shock in the am and the remaining 3 1/2 lbs PH down. Then later in the day vacume to waste. Day 3 another 3lbs shock. I was told not to use the shock plus.. My levels are as follows.

FAC 0.1
TC 0.3
Combined Chlorine 0.2
Total Alkalinity 146
PH 7.6
Cal hardness 151
Cyanuric Acid 37
Copper 0.0
Iron 0.0

Figures I have out of town company coming this weekend, and it looks as if they can all help me brush and vac the pool, I can hose them all down. LOL... Looking forward in clean water again. At least last year I had an easy start and season. Thanks for listening to me babble... I had to get this off my back. I love this site and will continue to read and learn more. Oh, this is my 8th season owning a pool. So far this is my worst experiance thus far.

Aim
Amy

update this morning

Postby Amy » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 09:04

This morning I checked my chemicals, No Cl reading again, my ph is low and alk looks good. I back washed and 4 lbs turbo shock, brushed well, I didn't want to add the remaining PH down, Should I anyway, I think I will wait till later today, I will check it again in about 4 hours and vacume to waste. Then decide what to do.

How does this sound?

Thanks
Aim
iscreem61

Postby iscreem61 » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 10:07

Thanks backglass for all your help I will do that today . Then I can swim again I love this site you guys are great :D
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 13:08

Amy, post your new readings. pH low doesn't tell us much.

If your pH is lower than 7.0 and you have a vinyl pool you should not add any more pH- Don't ever let your pH go below 7.0 in a vinyl pool.
Amy

My new readings..

Postby Amy » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 13:41

Sorry, I forgot. When I said the ph was low this AM, it looked to be 6.8 on the test strips and with my liquid test kit as well.

I added the 4lbs of turbo shock, but didn't put in the remaining PH down as the pool dealer instructed in lue of the reading. I was told to use the ph down because my total alk was 146. I would have purchased muratic acid via Lowes/Home depot, but I don't know what racio to use. So I bought the PH down instead.

I just go home, back washed filter and rechecked the readings. FINALLY, my chlorine level is between 5 and 10 PPM so this AM's shock seamed to work, It has been fitering for 5 1/2 hours the alk is 120 and the PH was ok, at 7.6 again.

OH, yes I do have a vinyl liner. At some point today I was told to vacume to waste. Problem is I can't see the bottom. Should I wait, or vacume blind just to help it along? I have vacumed it twice blindly and it isn't any fun, but it is doable. Of course this is prior to the cloudy water. Also what is the deal with phosphates? I have never heard of that. I am about to look around to see what I can find on the net. I just find it hard to believe after 7 seasons, now they are giving me trouble.

Thanks for your advice.
A
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 18:31

It's the trendy push thing this year, I guess.

Some people do have a phosphate problem, but I think they have to be really high to be a nuisance. It would be one of the last things I would worry about in most circumstances.

You've treated for them and they are now hopefully gone, so you are most likely dealing with the after effects.

Keep your chlorine high and since you used a phosphate treatment, they usually recommend or give you clarifier to use to clear up the cloudiness.

Normally, I don't recommend clarifiers, but in the case of post-phosphate treatment, you may need to do so.

Vac to waste bypasses the filter, alleviating getting all the stuff in your filter and having to backwash as often. After a phosphate treatment, if yours were indeed very high you may find you need to backwash several times a day until your pool is really clear of the debris in the water. So, vacuuming blindly and slowly can help some.
Amy

moving right along

Postby Amy » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 08:54

Here are my updates. Man is this frustrating.

Original reading: Friday 6-22

FC 0.1 Low
TC 0.3 Low
CC 0.2 OK
TA 146 High
PH 7.6 OK
CH 151 Low
CA 37 OK
Copper/Iron 0.0 OK
Total Dissolved Solids 1,000 OK
Saturation Index 0.07 OK
Very High Phospates

Monday's reading 6-25

FC 10.0 High
TC 10.0 High
CC 0.0 OK
TA 102 OK
PH 7.1 Low
CH 167 Low
CA 17 Low
Copper/Iron 0.0 OK
Total Dissolved Solids 1,000 OK
Saturation Index -0.55 Corrosive
Very High Phospates I saw the reading, I don't remember the numbers but it was the darkest blue on the vial reading level.

Last night I added PH up to increase PH. This AM ph is back to normal. I did buy Calcium Hardness increaser, do I really need to use this? My original numbers the CH was 151 and as of yesterday 167 so somthing has made it increase. I feel like a yo-yo, do this follow our instructions then Bamb there are other things now wrong that were ok before.

I forgot what effect stabillizer tabs have on the levels. I think it was the Cyanuric Acid. Is that what all talk about for CYA levels? Ok, I need your advice. THanks,
Aim
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 27 Jun, 2007 03:02

Hi Amy, well things are looking better with your readings.

Are you keeping that chlorine up day and night?

You very well may have to treat several times for phosphates. If it's really that high - I'd do it.

Yes, CYA is stabilizer. If there is none it is bad because the sun burns out the chlorine quickly in the summer. If it's too high, it renders chlorine ineffective. The ideal range is 30 - 50. You cannot lower CYA by any other method than dilution so try to watch what products you use that may add it, such as pool store shock, tablets and such. They add quite of CYA with each application. If it's low, you can use them but when it gets to 50, stop using them.

You have a vinyl pool - you don't need to increase your Calcium Hardness. Take it back and get your money back.
Amy

Updates on my pool

Postby Amy » Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:16

Hey Buggs,

Thank you for all your time you invest on this board. I appreciate your input.

Yes, I am keeping the Chlorine levels up. Right now Ph, Alk, and Chlorine are all at normal levels. Unfortunatly, your reply arrived after I added the Calcium increaser. I purchased a 7lb tub even though they recommended 10 1/2 pounds. I only put in about 3lbs. The lable stated to broadcast it into the pool. The first scoop I did and noticed how it started to react to the water yet sink quickly. I didn't want to have the pellets. (they look like the size of the old styrophome beads in a bean bag) laying on the bottom of the pool, so I diluted them first in water. That was freaky in of it's self. I could feel the chemical reaction in the bucket since I was standing outside of my pool and holding the bucket on the pool rail. I mixed quickly and poured it around the pool.

Yesterday morning June 27 th, exactly two weeks from starting running my pump, my pool was crystal clear. So I don't know if the calcium helped or if it was just it's time to turn clear finally. I grumbled when I read what you wrote to me of not needing the calcium. The pool store knows I have a vinyl linner, why do they say you NEED it or it will pool what it needs out of the linner. hmmmmm bones have calcium, I don't know about plastic. Or if she ment deteriorate instead. hmmmmm. Such is life, live and learn.

At this point, I know the phospates were in the 2,000 range. I watched her do the test and I read the kit while she was waiting on someone else. I have the Phose free plus, still. I wonder if I should bother using it or not. I don't know if it will help in removing more or just maintain the current level.

She tryed to sell me some other stuff that will be comming in to help remove more. Some type of Phos floc. At this point I don't feel like dumping another 30 bucks in the pool to remove, what I have never seen or heard of . ARG....this can be soooooo frustrating at times.

What do you recommend? I still have the bottle, and am still debating about returning it. It was rather heafty at $42.00 for a 1/2 gallon.

Thanks again,
Amy

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”