add muriatic acid all at once?

Problems relating to pH and total alkalinity.
Increase ph, increase TA. Reduce pH, reduce TA.
pH chemistry advice and techniques for the pool.
quiggmom

add muriatic acid all at once?

Postby quiggmom » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:03

I just used your calulator to help determine how much muriatic acid to add and it said about 1.5 liters. Do I do it as an acid "shock" and put it all in at once with the pump off and let it sit for 20-30 min? Or is it something I need to spread out over time and if so - how much time?

I am using strips - so I don't have a specific number of my TA level, but it is at the highest reading (darkest color) - I am going to ge a kit today so I can have better numbers.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 21:45

I don't know your pool volume.

In a 10,000 - 15,000 gallon pool, I personally don't put any more than 2 or 3 cups of muriatic acid in, over a 24 hour period.

If you have a larger pool, you can use more. If smaller, use less.
quiggmom

Postby quiggmom » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 22:12

it's a 25,000 gallon in ground pool

the TA is showing at 250 with the actual test kit - that's before a round of muriatic acid (approx. 3 cups) and the same for 4 hours later
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 22:22

That's probably good. 4 hours is too soon to test your water, anyway. Depending on your pump, and turnover rate, your water isn't probably thoroughly circulated for 8 to 12 hours.
quiggmom

Postby quiggmom » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 09:07

checked this morning (11 hours after last treatment) and it's dropped to 225 (YEAH!)

I will keep plugging away at it

We leave for vacation in 2 days - should I have someone come at put muriatic acid in while we are gone or will it stay the same - we are having someone come in and shock about everyother day just so we don't lose it to algae. Any advice?
quiggmom

Postby quiggmom » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:04

I forgot to say we will be gone for a week
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:03

Ahh, you are making progress.

You know, unless it's someone who is very familiar with pools and acid, like an experienced and trustworthy pool owner or pool care company. I'd not want anyone using acid around my pool.

Acid + chlorine = danger, can cause an explosion or fire if stored together or mixed together.

I think I'd not want to worry about a friends safety. Just take care of the chlorine and have a great trip! Your alk will be awaiting your return.

Return to “pH & Total Alkalinity”