Frustrated. Please help!

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
jfkassner

Frustrated. Please help!

Postby jfkassner » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:34

We have a 20x40 inground vinyl liner pool, approximately 32,000 gallons. We have a lot of trees behind the pool. I am having a terrible time getting the water clear. I can barely see the main drain in the deep end. After adding 6 gallons of bleach and a pond of Sun Extra last night,here are latest test results:
FC= 4.0
TC= 5.0
CC= 1.0
pH= 7.7
Hardness= 240
Alkilinity (w/stabilizer correction)= 100
CYA= 15
We are getting ready to use a Salt Water Chlorine Generator and the CYA must be 80. After shoccking last night, there was algae this morning.
Any advice?

Postby Guest » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 15:12

I was having a similar problem. After vacuuming, I backwashed and then rinsed the filter. It began to clear almost immediatly.

Turns out the problem was in the filter, not the pool.

Good luck!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 20:11

Anonymous wrote:I was having a similar problem. After vacuuming, I backwashed and then rinsed the filter. It began to clear almost immediatly.

Turns out the problem was in the filter, not the pool.

Good luck!

Just like your laundry and dishes, you should always rinse after cleaning (backwashing)..otherwise you just blow the remnants back into the pool. That's why you have a rinse setting!

That being said, jfk's problem probably isn't failure to rinse. You should bring your CYA up to 30 and keep shocking as judging by your numbers, the chlorine is still being eaten by something...even after all that chlorine!

Just keep your chlorine high and be sure to keep running your filter 24/7 for a few more days.

Your sure there no organic mater (dirt/leaves/etc) in the deep end you cant see?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 00:50

I agree, it's either burning out from sun or it's being depleted by algae.

Get your CYA up to 30 - 50 ppm

Keep your chlorine levels at shock level day and night - so you may have to add more chlorine 3 or 4 times a day to keep it high enough.

Bring your pH down to about 7.2

Keep your pump running 7/24.

Keep leaves and such out of the pool by netting or vacuuming.

Since you say you have a lot of trees, I suspect a lot get in the pool. Worst thing to do is to let them stay. You should get them out daily.

You may want to check your water for phosphates and treat if high, if the other remedies above don't help. Treating will really cloud your water up, but that's what it's supposed to do and some treatments give you clarifier to clear it up.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”