Losing my mind

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
dang_pool

Losing my mind

Postby dang_pool » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 22:12

Ahhhhhh! Pool is still so cloudy I can't make out the second step on the ladder. Tried heavy duty clarifier, flocculant type product, and have changed the DE in my filter literally dozens of times in the last 2 months. So, I get the Ranger automatic cleaner out and run it and can see that at certain places on the bottom of the pool, it is sucking up pure algea green colored water mixed with a few leaves and some decayed buds off the trees. Can't see the bottom of the pool, of course, so I don't know how much is down there. My filter does not have a vacuum to waste option, according to the manufacturer, so I am losing my mind with this. I put in fresh DE, then run the vacuum and literally 10 minutes later, the filter needs cleaned again.

Here is my question: last year, we opened the pool and had half a pool full of leaves. Dug out lots of the leaves and shocked the pool and a short time later, the water was clear (even though there were still leaves in it) and the remaining leaves had gathered in the center of the pool and I scooped them out and things were great. This year, practically no leaves when we took off the cover, water hasn't been clear yet.

I have been keeping the clorine levels super high for days to no avail. I have a new filter module and have spent hundreds on chemicals. Pool store still says my water tests perfect, but I can't get it cleared up!!

Any thoughts as to why I can't clear up the water like I did last year?

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 22:23

Since your filter is getting clogged so quickly and you can't vacuum to waste, there is simply too much junk in your pool right now for your filter to handle and too much for chlorine to break down (unless you wait a very, very long time). You might try adding a skimmer sock to the skimmer and figuring out some way to vacuum out of the pool directly (i.e. to waste) or perhaps turning off the pump and using the pool sieve/screen tool (whatever that thing is called), possibly with a skimmer sock around it, to scoop up and remove what is settled near the bottom.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 22:35

I agree. Get a pool leaf rake and scoop that mess out of there. Your drain may already be clogged full of it.
dang_pool

Postby dang_pool » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 23:40

Any thoughts as to why it is so cloudy? Would the presence of algae on a few sections of the bottom of the pool do this? How is the algae still alive when I am keeping the chlorine levels so high?

thanks again!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Thu 21 Jun, 2007 23:49

Because you have garbage in your pool in the form of leaves, sticks, etc that Algae love to eat. It's impossible to kill it all when you have the ultimate buffet open all the time.
jrebeiro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jrebeiro » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 09:20

I'm in the same boat. I have been fighting with my pool since I opened it memorial day weekend. The water is a thick grey cloud and my D.E. filter clogs up within 10 minutes and I am constantly cleaning it out. I am vacuuming the center of the pool to waste and the waste water is no longer sludgy green. I can't see more than 6 inches into the water.

Pool store has no idea and tells me water is perfect. I may switch back to my sand filter to see if that makes any difference.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 19:38

Buy a leaf rake to put on the end of your pole and drag the bottom. You will be stunned how much gook you bring up.
jrebeiro
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jrebeiro » Sun 24 Jun, 2007 22:01

That was last week :) Now the thing comes up clean and the water is white not green.

I started a new thread on my problem as to not take attention away from the original posters problem.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”