pool water

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Ed

pool water

Postby Ed » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:46

I had above ground pool for 28 years and never ran into this problem. Opened as usual got rid of dirt etc in bottom,vacuum filter etc. Water was very clear and pool looked good, had 3 large chlorine tablets in a floater. The chlorine level was low, I had bought 2 shock packs, used one when i first opened up pool. Now water and pool look great just low on chlorine, mixed shock and dumped into the pool. as soon as it hit the water it was like I poured iodine in the pool. After much filtering I dumped the DE in the filter and it was like orange,put in new and filtered again looked good went to another store and got shock and again it was like I dumped iodine in the water, any suggestions?Thank You

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: pool water

Postby Backglass » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:42

Ed wrote:I had above ground pool for 28 years and never ran into this problem. Opened as usual got rid of dirt etc in bottom,vacuum filter etc. Water was very clear and pool looked good, had 3 large chlorine tablets in a floater. The chlorine level was low, I had bought 2 shock packs, used one when i first opened up pool. Now water and pool look great just low on chlorine, mixed shock and dumped into the pool. as soon as it hit the water it was like I poured iodine in the pool. After much filtering I dumped the DE in the filter and it was like orange,put in new and filtered again looked good went to another store and got shock and again it was like I dumped iodine in the water, any suggestions?Thank You

Sounds to me like you have Iron fortified water! :lol: Do you have a well by chance? The orange filter is a telltale sign of Iron.

Stop by the pool store and get some sequestrant...they are usually called "Metal Out", Metal Magnet" or some such. This will help to filter out the metals.

It could be that you have always had Iron but over the years it has built up. Also I have a buddy who is a Culligan man who says wells can be cyclical/seasonal...lots of iron one year, hardly any the next.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”