Abouve ground pool and algae/ brown stuff on bottom

Algae problems in swimming pool water.
Green (cloudy) water or slimy pool walls.
Black algae. Mustard algae. Pink or white pool mold.
Z_Z_MOMMIE

Abouve ground pool and algae/ brown stuff on bottom

Postby Z_Z_MOMMIE » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:35

I have one of those blow up ring pools from walmart yes I know DUH!! Anyway it has started turning green every other day I shock and algaecide even added something to take out phosphates. I live in Alabama in the area that is in a stage 3 draught. I have talk to pool people oh it mustard algae. I only have a water vaccum and I can't seem to get the dead algae off the bottom and the pool company is no help please help this is the only thing kids have to do this summer and they are very down about it please, please help!!
Thanks and Many blessings.
Z_Z

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 11:36

There's nothing wrong with having a pool from Walmart. We all start somewhere.

What is the volume of water in gallons?
What are your test readings?
Do you use test strips or drop?
Is your fill water city water or well water?
What are you using to chlorinate and shock?

You are probably not putting enough chlorine in to shock it high enough and long enough and not keeping it high enough for the bather load.

If you come back with the info we can tell you pretty much what to do.
Z_Z_MOMMIE

Postby Z_Z_MOMMIE » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:38

I use test strips. a local pool brand of chlorine with stablizer in it, ph up if need, baking soda for alkalinity and shock when needed. This morning reading as follow
ph 7.2
Free chlorine was a 5 been adding shock for 3 days plus the phospahte stuff 3 days ago.
alkalinity was 90
stablizer was 30-50.

I'm running the pump everyday and I just vaccumed using my kids socks they had the tighest weave to it and got a great deal of stuff off the bottom but it is still cloudy like with a green tint but not as bad. Thanks again and Blessing

Postby Guest » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:45

Z_Z_MOMMIE wrote:I use test strips. a local pool brand of chlorine with stablizer in it, ph up if need, baking soda for alkalinity and shock when needed. This morning reading as follow
ph 7.2
Free chlorine was a 5 been adding shock for 3 days plus the phospahte stuff 3 days ago.
alkalinity was 90
stablizer was 30-50.
Use city water but can't add because of draught.
It's at about 5000 gallons right now.

I'm running the pump everyday and I just vaccumed using my kids socks they had the tighest weave to it and got a great deal of stuff off the bottom but it is still cloudy like with a green tint but not as bad. Thanks again and Blessing
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 15:01

Free chlorine looks good. You didn't mention what your Total Chlorine and Combined Chlorine is. If you have one of either of those we can calcualte the other. Your pH looks okay, TA is okay, CYA looks okay.

If you have any CC's you need to shock higher.

Sounds like green algae to me from your description. Usually it will turn white if you've gotten your chlorine high enough.

I don't know your pool volume to tell you how much to use, but why not pick up some liquid chlorine - regular strength Chlorox will do and add a gallon to your pool to shock it. Try to get your shock level up to 15 and keep it there day and night until it holds the level all night long. Add more bleach in the morning if it is down. Run your pump 7/24, backwash if necessary and keep vacuuming that stuff out of your pool.

You may not be running your pump long enough if you are keeping your chlorine levels okay and the algae may be sitting in your filter waiting to attack the pool. Chlorine can deplete very quickly in a hot and still filter.

Hard to say. But make doubly sure you are keeping your chlorine levels and pH in check and you should be fine even with the high bather loads of a lot of kids. Add your chlorine at night is best for regular maintenance, but by all means - if it's low and it's daytime - add it, regardless.
LexiKeri

Postby LexiKeri » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 22:23

I have the same pool and the same problem. Mine is the 18ft pool and holds 5500 gallons of water.

I run the filter everyday for about 4 hrs minimum, however the last two days I was away and hubby "forgot".

Today I went out to get in the pool and was shocked to see this "stuff" in my water! I spent the whole afternoon brushing, vacuming, shocking and adding algecide. Now the water is cloudy.

After reading up, I don't think I've kept my chlorine high enough.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 27 Jun, 2007 18:09

LexiKeri wrote:I have the same pool and the same problem. Mine is the 18ft pool and holds 5500 gallons of water.

I run the filter everyday for about 4 hrs minimum, however the last two days I was away and hubby "forgot".

Today I went out to get in the pool and was shocked to see this "stuff" in my water! I spent the whole afternoon brushing, vacuming, shocking and adding algecide. Now the water is cloudy.

After reading up, I don't think I've kept my chlorine high enough.

Even when your water is perfect you should run the filter at least 12 hours a day. Otherwise things go bad, fast.

Return to “Pool Algae & Green Pool Water”