Sand in Pool - new parts

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
edgriff
I'm new here
I'm new here

Sand in Pool - new parts

Postby edgriff » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 13:46

I have been getting sand in the pool. I have a Hayward S220T. I replaced the sand; no help. I then replaced the Multiport; again no help. And finally I replaced the center pipe and lateral assembly and all laterals; no joy.

One varible is the pump. I had it replaced last year by a "hack". I can't remember if the sand was in the pool before that or not. The pump is 3/4 horse and 57 gpm (I think). Could the pump be too strong?

I see no visible signs of leakage. The pool level does drop slightly but I am in the south and the daily temp has been 90+ since the first of June.

Any ideas?

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Fri 22 Jun, 2007 20:30

I'm not a pump expert, but I don't think it's because the pump is too strong in your case - hopefully someone more knowledgable about the mechanics of a pump to filter will be along, soon.

Did you replace the parts yourself? Perhaps a part is defective. Perhaps there is not enough sand in the filter. These are just ideas, I've heard, as again, I'm not a pool mechanic.
edgriff
I'm new here
I'm new here

response

Postby edgriff » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 21:45

Thanks Buggsw!

I did replace the parts myself, but since the symptoms are the same, I doubt both sets of parts are defective (unless they were made in China :)) I am beginning to think that I have a pipe leak. I have dug up what I have access to and don't see any water. To go any further, I have to break concrete. I will not attemt that myself.
edgriff
I'm new here
I'm new here

response

Postby edgriff » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 21:51

To follow up: I put the recommened 250 pounds of sand in the filter.

Another forum said that if the "debris" disappears when disturbed, it is probably not sand but dirt. Mine does disappear, so I think it may not be sand. Thus I am thinking it is a ventri effect by dirt.

Does anyone know of a way to determine that? Wouldnt I see water somewhere?
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sat 23 Jun, 2007 22:18

You know, something I thought of.

When you put new sand in a filter, you are supposed to backwash it a lot before putting the pool back into service.

I'm thinking you are supposed to do it for 15 minutes for at least 3 times because of the dirt in the sand.

If it dissipates in the water, then it is not sand. Sand just sort of lays there.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”