Pipe Size VS PUMP

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
chunkayng
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pipe Size VS PUMP

Postby chunkayng » Thu 20 Dec, 2018 11:31

Hi,

I have a question about learning about the pool system

If the Maximum Flow Rate for 2 inches PVC pipe is only 45GPM and i only use 2" pipe for my pool
Am i right to say that the maximum GPM for my pool system can achieve is only 45GPM even if i use high HP PUMP and the Total Dynamic Head is Zero.

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Pipe Size VS PUMP

Postby Larry » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 03:26

The maximum flow rate of PVC piping depends on the speed of the flow. A discharge line has a much higher flow rate compared to the same diameter suction line.
Then you need to take into account the flow loss due to fittings and length of pipe.
I have attached the table we use as a base reference for pipe size / flow rate calculations. It is on the conservative side - we are happy to overdue rather than underdo the piping.
boru hesaplama.pdf
(137.56 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pipe Size VS PUMP

Postby Teapot » Fri 21 Dec, 2018 05:05

We can also consider the flow rate through the filter. Then also the multi port valve. Both of these items put a bigger load than ever the pipe does. Pool companies make big pumps to overcome the problems they build into the rest of the equipment they make.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”