New Pool Owners - basic help info please :)

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
nathan8908
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 50,000L, marblesheen, salt water chlorinated. Brand New AstralPool E25 Chlorinator.

New Pool Owners - basic help info please :)

Postby nathan8908 » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 03:35

Hi, recently purchased a house and now have a fantastic 50,000L marblesheen, saltwater pool to maintain and learn about.

A few quick questions surrounding the pool.

The pool is salt chlorinated ... is it normal to continue to use chlorine/supershock in the pool?, if not, how is it managed in general?
    How often should salt be added in general? I have a family friend that says to just add 1-2 bags prior to summer
    Currently, it is extremely hot where I live (41c) and the pool is heating up due to the hot weather. How should I combat how quick it may potentially start to turn green/algae?
    If the pool was to suddenly go green/algae growth visible... is it then normal to supershock it?

My current AquaCheck test strip results are:
pH: 7.8
ppm Free Chlorine: 5
ppm Total Alk: 120
ppm Stabilizer: 30-50 range
The pool is not cloudy. I backwashed and rinsed it only 2 days ago. The pool was topped up with fresh water too to increase its levels.

I believe I have all chemicals in the garage still, and have only recently put in stabilizer, flocculant, cloudout and salt water clarifier.

I tried to have a pool company send someone for an "Introduction to Pools" inspection at my place, but I got sent an all of 19 year old who pointed out what a pump was, how to use the kreepy, and how to use the filter system... which I had worked out myself prior... So I'm very hesitant to spend another $90 to find someone to give me basics.

Please help! (If this isn't quite the right spot, could you please then point me in the right direction? thanks)

Much Appreciated! Nathan

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: New Pool Owners - basic help info please :)

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 06:16

Hi Nathan and welcome
You are doing the right thing by maintaining your pool yourself
First of all get a decent FAS/DPD test kit (Taylor K2006c or Tftestkits TF100 in the states) Pool stores and test strips are unreliable
Do not add any additional chlorine or shock(shock is just chlorine) whilst the SWCG is operational, bearing in mind that it won't operate in cold weather
Don't just add salt, check your salt levels as required by your SWCG. The salt isn't used up and the only way of lowering it is by splashout, backwash, rain and leaks
Keep the chlorine at the required Pool Levels with reference to your Chlorine / CYA Chart
Should you have an algae bloom you will need to Slam
Use Pool Maths to work out how and what to add
Use these common products to maintain your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) when your SWCG isn't working
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

There's plenty to get on with for now, come back with any further clarification needed
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 12:30

50,000 litres would suggest European resident?
Aquachek dip strips are not much good, sure you get a colour change but accuracy wise very doubtful. Palintest also do an FAS/DPD kit or something like the La-Motte ColorQ electronic tester are also not bad.
You have a marblesheen finish so knowing the calcium hardness of your water is also good.
nathan8908
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 50,000L, marblesheen, salt water chlorinated. Brand New AstralPool E25 Chlorinator.

Postby nathan8908 » Thu 03 Jan, 2019 20:39

Thankyou both for your help and insight!

I'm actually an Australian resident! Sweltering in our hot heat at the moment... and hoping that I can maintain the pool during this hot heat so it stays crystal clear and not green!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 04 Jan, 2019 04:03

nathan8908 wrote:Thankyou both for your help and insight!

I'm actually an Australian resident! Sweltering in our hot heat at the moment... and hoping that I can maintain the pool during this hot heat so it stays crystal clear and not green!

Most important is to maintain your chlorine against your CYA level and only put in what you need, not what pool stores want to sell you
That's why regular accurate testing is important. 30-50 CYA is quiet a big range and OK for a Non SWCG
With a SWCG your CYA should be 70 and your chlorine 5 that you have now if your strips are reliable
Before long you will be telling those pool guys what needs doing

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”