First Test Results - ClearChoiceLabs (Australia)

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
nathan8908
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 50,000L, marblesheen, salt water chlorinated. Brand New AstralPool E25 Chlorinator.

First Test Results - ClearChoiceLabs (Australia)

Postby nathan8908 » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 04:08

Hi All! Following your advice, I have purchased and received a full FAS/DPD kit. I researched everywhere and this was the closest thing available similar in Aus to a Taylors kit.

Anyway... I have completed all of the tests in the kit, and need help interpreting the results. I have used PoolMath, but am uncertain of how high some of my levels may actually be.. and the overall best path of action for next steps in getting them to required levels and maintaining it.

I also need to know what sort of pool surface to measure against; as I have a salt water marblesheen pool - with a brand new SWCG.

My test results are as follows;
FC: 5 --- Second part of the test was Combined Chlorine 0
TC: (unsure of what combination of results this is)
pH: 7.8 (or higher)
TA: 175ppm
CH: 875ppm
CYA: 52
Salt: 9200ppm ? :? :?:

What of the results above would send alarm bells to anyone in general? What should I be concerned of and alarmed by, if anything? Also, if the salt reading is accurate... are there any other options of reductions in salt levels that don't include emptying 90% of the pool? :thumbdown:

Thankyou soooo much for your help! It was a little fun playing scientist and mixing and adding chemicals!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: First Test Results - ClearChoiceLabs (Australia)

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 07:23

nathan8908 wrote:Hi All! Following your advice, I have purchased and received a full FAS/DPD kit. I researched everywhere and this was the closest thing available similar in Aus to a Taylors kit.

Anyway... I have completed all of the tests in the kit, and need help interpreting the results. I have used PoolMath, but am uncertain of how high some of my levels may actually be.. and the overall best path of action for next steps in getting them to required levels and maintaining it.

I also need to know what sort of pool surface to measure against; as I have a salt water marblesheen pool - with a brand new SWCG.

My test results are as follows;
FC: 5 --- Second part of the test was Combined Chlorine 0
TC: (unsure of what combination of results this is)
pH: 7.8 (or higher)
TA: 175ppm
CH: 875ppm
CYA: 52
Salt: 9200ppm ? :? :?:

What of the results above would send alarm bells to anyone in general? What should I be concerned of and alarmed by, if anything? Also, if the salt reading is accurate... are there any other options of reductions in salt levels that don't include emptying 90% of the pool? :thumbdown:

Thankyou soooo much for your help! It was a little fun playing scientist and mixing and adding chemicals!

Hi Nathan
It's better if you continue an existing thread rather than start a new one as we have all the details in one place
Total chlorine is the addition of free chlorine and the combined chlorine which in your case is 5
CYA should be 70 with a SWCG but don't add any untill you have your CH and salt under control, the chlorine 5 that you have is fine
I would go for a plaster pool
You need to lower your TA, CH and salt (most SWCG need about 3k to 4k but check your SWCG recomendation
The ony way to lower CH, salt and CYA is by a partial drain and refill or reverse osmosis if available
How did you get the salt reading?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: First Test Results - ClearChoiceLabs (Australia)

Postby Teapot » Fri 11 Jan, 2019 12:14

As Dennis said but who's salt chlorinator have you got? There is an Australian model that uses 7,000-8,000ppm of salt is a crazy belief its better.
Nathan you'll need to test the water you intend to top up with, not much point in partial draining if the new refill water is CH 875ppm etc.

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”