Main drain weird major leak..please help...

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Main drain weird major leak..please help...

Postby Coops » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 11:45

Hi Everyone. I have a major leak problem and it's pretty weird. Tried everything we can think of. Basically, pool will be fine for months, then usually after cleaning or after a landscape worker has been there, it starts leaking majorly. I mention the landscaper because my wife thinks he may be doing something to cause it on purpose. He used to take care of the pool too. The level drops a foot every day. It will leak all the way to the bottom. We keep filling and out of no where sometimes days or weeks later it holds water again for weeks or months. Never know. Any ideas would be appreciated. We have already tried detaching all pumps and still it loses water. Tried so many things that I can't remember. If there was a crack or something I'd expect it to leak all the time and not stop.
So what I know, concrete pool with tiles. There is no hydrostatic valve.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Main drain weird major leak..please help...

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 17:08

What is this an inground or above ground also what is the construction
The only thing that comes to mind if this is an inground pool would be a faulty hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain. Designed to allow ground water to leak into the pool when empty to prevent floating
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Coops » Sat 19 Jan, 2019 17:32

Sorry, forgot. Yes inground pool. Cement with tile.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 20 Jan, 2019 03:49

The hydrostatic relief valve could be your problem then
When it empties again investigate and replace
The only other alternative is to block the main drain either temporary or permanent
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 20 Jan, 2019 06:41

Hi Coops and welcome, you haven't given us much info on your pool yet so always a bit tricky to try and guess. I agree with Dennis, the first port of call would be your main drain and hydrostatic valve if you have that option fitted? Another possibility is your worker is doing something that starts a siphon action, maybe out of the multiport to waste line, again if your system has that?

I would, make sure on the next visit you monitor exactly what your person does, make notes and report back, they maybe doing something without realising it, have you reported this issue to them?
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Coops » Mon 21 Jan, 2019 14:31

Hey, yes they know the issue but it's been a year and still not fixed. If the landscaper is sabotaging it, thry won't tell me anything:(
I'm told there is no hydrostatic relief valve.
It must have something to do with the main drain since it takes about a week for the pool to drain all the way down to the drain. But I would have figured the pool would be leaking all the time and never hold water but like I said, it does hold water sometimes.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 03:13

Who told you their is no hydrostatic relief valve. Some experts aren't expert
Can you not temporary block the main drain to see if it's related
A lot of people have done away with problematic main drains
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 04:27

Seconded Dennis, especially as main drains don't actually do very much. Dirt enters from the surface of the water so skimming is the best action.
Having any main drain suction reduces the skimmer action.
Do as Dennis suggests and buy a bung and fit into the main drain.
That would stop water loss if it was a main drain or siphon issue. The water then would only drop to the level of the skimmer.
If your pool person/gardener has solved it in a year get rid of them from pool duty they are useless.
Sampool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Sampool » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 07:47

Hi Dennis

Just seen this thread one of the easiest ways to find out where the leak is coming from is to pressure test all your pool fittings,
It could be a faulty hydrostatic valve, which yes you could bung it off but I wouldn’t recommend it specially if your in a high water table area. Also your multi port could be giving way as these do tend to happen over a certain amount of time. Do you have a ball valve on the wasteline that you open and close to do backwashing and rinsing? If so make sure this is shut that would prevent the water(if it’s letting by) going down the drain.
I also wouldn’t recommend bunging off the sump completely as this is there for filtration purposes, if your pool ever goes green it will take you much longer and harder to clear it just using the skimmer alone.

Any questions feel free to ask, I am a pool engineer and installer with 12 years experience. Happy to help out.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 09:01

Hi Sampool
Thanks for your input but a few things that you may not have noticed
The water drains completely from the pool so there is very little chance of floating
The fact that it isn't constant would negate some of the other options
Bunging the return was seen as a temporary option to determine whether the main drain was faulty, also to pressure test the pipework you would need to bung up the pipes
A main drain isn't necessary and in some cases dangerous causing entrapment (this is why some have two main drains linked so that the suction is halved)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 22 Jan, 2019 10:03

Sampool wrote:I also wouldn’t recommend bunging off the sump completely as this is there for filtration purposes, if your pool ever goes green it will take you much longer and harder to clear it just using the skimmer alone.

The main drain does practically zero for water filtration. They circulate clean water most of the time unless you actually push dirt into them. Plenty of my customers do not have a main drain at all with no issues, should they have an algae problem it is just as easily cleared up with correct use of chems and just a skimmer.
I have 17 years experience as a pro.
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Coops » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 14:07

Denniswiseman wrote:What is this an inground or above ground also what is the construction
The only thing that comes to mind if this is an inground pool would be a faulty hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain. Designed to allow ground water to leak into the pool when empty to prevent floating

Hi Dennis thanks for the info. Ok, I'm going to send the pool caretaker some questions. Can you give me some questions for construction, pumps, anything that may help the forum figure out the problem? Thanks again!
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Coops » Wed 23 Jan, 2019 15:34

I was thinking if just blocking off the main drain but would still prefer to find the problem.
What questions would all of you ask my pool guy to get more info for the forum to help figure out the issue? I'll send him an email tonight.
Thanjs again.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 02:23

Dennis suggested temporarily blocking off the main drain (quite rightly IMO) to see if this stops the problem thus you can then concentrate on that area. Buying a plug is cheap compared to other methods.
Oh questions for your pool guy,
Why are you working on pools when you clearly don't know what you are doing!

If you could post some photos of the equipment pad it may help us
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 24 Jan, 2019 03:39

Once you sort this main drain problem, get yourself a decent FAS/DPD test kit and maintain your pool yourself. Strips and Pool Stores are unreliable
If you are in the States a Taylor K2006c or TFTestkits TF100. I purchased the Taylor with international shipping

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”