Main drain weird major leak..please help...

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Main drain weird major leak..please help...

Postby Coops » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 15:23

I do have pics and a video now. There is water going in through space around the drain which is being fixed. There is just a plug not a hydrostatic valve. If anyone can help me out with posting a video or pics I'd appreciate it. Maybe I could send pics by messenger or WhatsApp and someone can post them?
I wish I could take card of the pool myself but it's in Mexico. I should be moving within a year.
Thanks,

Rich

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 06 Feb, 2019 16:29

You tube is your friend
https://youtu.be/HMvlJ1gW7uw
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Coops » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 11:44

So this is most likely our problem. There is a crack/space around the main drain. But I also noticed there is no hydrostatic valve, only a plug. The pool guy who constructs pools said the valve isn't needed because of the ground the pool is constructed in. I thought a cement pool needed a hydroststic valve no matter what?
Anywhere, here is s video of the leak:
Watch "Pool leak" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/zK_3e-iRFdk
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 12:42

Coops wrote:So this is most likely our problem. There is a crack/space around the main drain. But I also noticed there is no hydrostatic valve, only a plug. The pool guy who constructs pools said the valve isn't needed because of the ground the pool is constructed in. I thought a cement pool needed a hydroststic valve no matter what?
Anywhere, here is s video of the leak:
Watch "Pool leak" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/zK_3e-iRFdk

If the crack around the main drain is the problem then it would be continously, draining down not intermittently as you suggest.
You don't need a hydrostatic relief valve if the ground water is below the base of the pool
That plug could be the HRV
Just because you don't need one doesn't mean one wasn't fitted as some installers will look upon it as "Belt and Braces"
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Feb, 2019 14:54

The little vortex created by the leak pin points it, worth double checking with pool dye or worst case food dye, pool dye clings together so you can trace it.
Some times sufficient dirt can clog a leak for a while until it gets disturbed by someone or brushing etc.
For the rest I agree with Dennis.
Coops
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Coops » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 10:26

Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well Teapot about dirt sometimes clogging the hole then getting disturbed. When they cut a big square around the drain, there was a large hole about the size of a grapefruit that looked like a flaw in the cement that was eroding away. Everything was fixed up and water is holding now.
The house is in mexico and the ground the pool was built in is very hard, like rock so that is why the pool place said the valves are not needed there if that makes sense. There are also cenotes that run everywhere underground where we get our water from.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 14 Feb, 2019 14:30

Good result!

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”