Cloudy Water - tried everything

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
pize
I'm new here
I'm new here

Cloudy Water - tried everything

Postby pize » Mon 28 Jan, 2019 19:51

When i returned from holiday my pool had started to turn a little green. The water had evaporated so much that the filters were not kicking in

I topped up the pool and returned the chemical balance to normal (tested by the pool shop). Since then I have had cloudy water

I have tried:-

Cleaning the filter cartridge
Vaccumming the pool with a skimmer sock on
Constantly brushing the walls and floor of the pool
Running the robot
Running the filters longer than normal (normal is 8hr/day)
Tried IQ Maxi Clear skimmer tablets (these normally do the trick)
Shocking the pool with liquid chlorine
Putting in some pool skimmer stuff the bloke at the shop told me to try

This has resulted in it being marginally better but still cloudy. I'm not sure what else to try

I do not have a sand filter so cannot vac to waste

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Cloudy Water - tried everything

Postby Teapot » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 02:07

I do not believe in "normal"sorry, please post your actual water results. How fine are your filter cartridges? How long are you running filtration for?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 29 Jan, 2019 15:47

Get a decent FAS/DPD test kit and Slam and post your results
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Martines32
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool Type: Ground; Pool Size: 51 Feet; Cleaning Cycle: 1 hour.

Postby Martines32 » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 09:25

How long it has been? You don't input new water and pass old water?
Sab_28
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Approx. 60,000litres salt water pebble pool. Shock treated the green pool with Algaecide, chlorine, acid and flocculent. Water chemistry is perfect(based on swimart pool test) but cloudy for over 5weeks.(sand) Filter has been running continued operation to allow filtration. Cannot see beyond step 2. Used a clarifier and pool vaccum as well. No change.

Postby Sab_28 » Thu 18 Apr, 2019 21:07

Hi
Same issue here...Approx. 60,000litres salt water pool. Shock treated the green pool with Algaecide, chlorine, acid and flocculent. Water chemistry is perfect(based on swimart pool test) but cloudy for over 5weeks.(sand) Filter has been running continued operation to allow filtration. Cannot see beyond step 2. Used a clarifier as well. No change. We do test the water regularly and top up with liquid chlorine.
The pool store person advised flocculant + vacuum to waste to eliminate any issues with the sand filter. Can anyone advise us on this please?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 19 Apr, 2019 00:18

Hi Sab,
You are being pool shopped! Stop!! (pool shopped= being sold every product under the sun)
Evidence for this is 5 weeks with a cloudy unusable pool.
Not lecturing you just explaining a few things so please take this in the helpful manner is was meant.
You can never shock treat a pool with algaecide! Shocking a pool is raising the Chlorine level. Holding the Chlorine level until the Chlorine has burned up everything in the water.
That's Chlorine, nothing else.
Algaecide do not work! That's the first bombshell, only copper based algaecide can actually stop a algae attack and that's risky from a staining point unless it's a plastic pool.
Water chemistry may be perfect from the view of a pool running perfectly, yours isn't so you need a slightly different approach as Dennis posted in the Slam link.
Please post the latest water chemistry results and do not assume the pool shop know what they are talking about ( based on 5 weeks of cloudy pool +all the products they have sold you)
You are far better off with your own test kit and the knowledge on here, please invest in a test kit and free yourself from the heart ache you are going through. Once we teach you you'll never get pool shopped again, just think of the savings!
So we need the latest water test results please.
Stop adding anything but chlorine and acid for now. You will need more liquid chlorine immediately.
When the pool is green you have algae. Shocking the pool is a process and not a product!
Increasing the chlorine to shock level kills the algae and also oxidises the algae turning the water a blue grey colour and cloudy. Maintaining this high level of chlorine (shocking) then let's the chlorine break down the algae further and oxidise it until the water goes clear.
Backwashing your filter helps to remove the build up of dead algae quicker speeding up the process.
Ideally starting the shocking with the pH around 7 maximises chlorine's power.
If there is Cyanuric acid (CYA, chlorine stabiliser) from your pool salt or other pool chemicals then this chemical can take over your pool. Test strips are almost useless for testing pool water when there is a issue and especially for CYA measurement.
Please pop back with the water tests and we can show you how quickly we can clear your pool! That's a promise.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”