salt vs chlorine

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
puyjapin
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground

salt vs chlorine

Postby puyjapin » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 09:40

Hi. Thanks for letting me join the forum.

I am in the process of buying a 15 foot pool above ground to use at my French holiday home. I live in the UK so I am not in france all the time.

before the new pool I had a small 10 foot pool with a standard cartridge filter. I used to shock chlorinate the pool when I left the house, disconnect the power to the pump cover it and even weeks later it would be clear and small of chlorine.

The new pool I am planning to use is a salt water system, this is mainly because one of my kids has eczema and I am hoping salt will be less harsh. I understand that the salt chlorinator will create some chlorine however if I leave the pool for some weeks will I be able to switch the pump off with no circulation like I did with a chlorine pool?
thanks in advance

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: salt vs chlorine

Postby Teapot » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 11:50

It doesn't sound like you will be renting your home so salt chlorination is fine. Yes you can switch everything off and leave it as the salt system has a flow switch built in, so no pump flow no chlorine.
There isn't much real evidence that it makes much difference to eczema, mainly rumours from salt sellers but it will still give you some automation. You could also try using magnesium chloride salt which is often used in health spas.
Using the Dryden Aqua glass filter media, some flocculant and phosphate remover I have been running my pool on a very low level of chlorine which is less than usually found in tap water without issue.
puyjapin
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: above ground

Re: salt vs chlorine

Postby puyjapin » Sun 31 Mar, 2019 13:05

Thanks. So not running the filter and pump for a few weeks won’t mean it is full of algae ?

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”