Problems with high pH

Water bugs, swimming insects and sweat bees.
Foaming bubbly water. Frogs in the pool.
Dead animals in the swimming pool.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Problems with high pH

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 05:49

Gimayaebr wrote:I'm also having high PH. Its hard for me to tell for sure but I think its higher than 7.8. I tried MA but only put about 1/2 of what the acid demand chart said. I like to do things slowly and make sure. Alk 90, CYA 38, PH 78 +?, total chlorine 4. I have used only bleach for chlorinating for years now, but someone gave me 2 gallons of a liquid pool chlorine and I used some of that when I opened the pool. Wondering if that raised my PH???
16'x36' rectangle 25K gal IG vinyl pool; bleach; Pentair Meteor 26" sand filter; cha

Liquid chlorine would be sodium hypochlorite which is bleach. The only thing added with either is salt. It does lose strength so if your initial dose was quiet old you may have just put in salt water
Carry on using MA to reduce your pH, this will lower your TA as well, increase it with Bicarbonate of Soda if needed
What is your free chlorine, it should be a minimum of 3 and a target of 5-7 according to your CYA of 38 with a shock level of 16
I assume you are using pool stores to get your readings. They and dip strips are widely inaccurate, you really need your own test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF Testkits TF100)

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Problems with high pH

Postby Teapot » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 11:02

PH of 7.8 is absolutely no problem as you have CYA in the water. If the water is pH stable at 7.8 don't try to fight it, no need, so enjoy your pool and stop worrying.

Return to “General Pool Water Problems”