Obstructed main drain

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
cooperc2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30 '' round above ground , sand filter

Obstructed main drain

Postby cooperc2 » Tue 02 Apr, 2019 13:02

I have a 30" above ground pool with a main drain and skimmer. The skimmer is the only line with a shutoff valve. We had some problems with the liner and had to go ahead and uncover the pool before I was ready. After fixing the liner I decided I may as well leave it open and just do my best to keep it clean until the water warms up enough to get in. I usually vacuum my pool using the main drain due to the fact I can close the skimmer valve for better suction. But since it's still so cold and I needed to vacuum I used a reach pole to place a tennis ball over the center main drain , then hooked my vac to skimmer . It worked great and I was able to get pool vacuumed , I shut off pump and went around to remove tennis ball. The tennis ball somehow got sucked into the main drain pipe , I don't know how far , I just know I can no longer see it. Help please

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Obstructed main drain

Postby Teapot » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 11:05

You don't need a main drain so leave it blocked. Eventually the ball will rot and it will work again.
All dirt enters a pool from above so if the skimmer works properly you don't need a main drain.
cooperc2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 30 '' round above ground , sand filter

Postby cooperc2 » Wed 03 Apr, 2019 11:19

I agree except it's just blocking it enough to cause air in the line , not enough to completely block it. I had planned on capping it this season anyway since I do not have a shut off for it . I really don't see it helps keep my pool any cleaner . It just winds up being a headache Everytime I get ready to vacuum.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 02:30

I am not sure how blocking just enough to cause air in the line for a main drain that is under water? To me if you block the line and you are drawing in air you have a pipe leak on that line.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”