or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Ivesy1923
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 7.1 x 3.1 fibreglass inground pool

Bottom of fibreglass pool 1 year old

Postby Ivesy1923 » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 15:17

Hi just wondering if anyone has seen this before I seem to have developed light brown tan blotches on the base of my fibreglass pool. I’ve tried stain removers, vitamin c, allsorts but cannot seem to get rid of them. I drained the pool a while back and the stains looked darker and as I fill they turn light brown. They appear actually within the fibreglass not on top. All levels are confirmed ok any help much appreciated thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Bottom of fibreglass pool 1 year old

Postby Teapot » Fri 05 Apr, 2019 18:07

One pool I look after has a fibreglass coating to waterproof the concrete shell and that has lost the gel coat in places and has tan patches.
Ivesy1923
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 7.1 x 3.1 fibreglass inground pool

Postby Ivesy1923 » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 15:16

Thanks tbh I’ve put my goggles on and gone along the bottom and the gel coat is definitely in tact. I’ve just shocked the pool taken it to 30ppm and this seems to have lightened the stains but still there. I’ve just ordered some lo chlor stain removal and no metal to try these see if it’s some thing to do with the tap water used when filling is weird!!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 02:37

I ignored metals as you previously stated you had tried stain removers and all-sorts. You often cannot test the water for metals once they have stained because they are no longer in solution. With iron for example, you need ascorbic acid as a reducing agent to make the staining iron (Fe3) back to non staining in solution Fe2. Ascorbic acid works with zero chlorine. Adding an oxidiser such as chlorine changes Fe2 to the staining version Fe3.
If you added chlorine shock dose and the stain lightened then it's an organic stain so keep the shock level until it's gone.
What is your CYA level?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 08 Apr, 2019 04:28

Try this link for Ascorbic Acid Treatment
katty87
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: It's open, 7 m x 4 m

Postby katty87 » Wed 22 May, 2019 07:20

Ivesy1923 wrote:Hi just wondering if anyone has seen this before I seem to have developed light brown tan blotches on the base of my fibreglass pool. I’ve tried stain removers, vitamin c, allsorts but cannot seem to get rid of them. I drained the pool a while back and the stains looked darker and as I fill they turn light brown. They appear actually within the fibreglass not on top. All levels are confirmed ok any help much appreciated thanks

Have you been using all the recommendations about water composition?
All this mineral and bacteria things...

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”