Help with PH and total alkalinity

The basics of swimming pool maintenance.
New swimming pool owner's questions.
Help getting started with daily pool care.
smcbee
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help with PH and total alkalinity

Postby smcbee » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 12:28

Hi, I just bought a new house with a large oval pool and it uses bacquacil. I checked the pool with some test strips the owner had left and it showed okay range on ppm softswim B (biguanide), ppm total alkalinity 240 (very high), PH 6.2 or under (very low), and ppm softswim clarifier 10 (add). can someone help me because im not too sure what to buy or what to do to get it ready for this summer.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Help with PH and total alkalinity

Postby Teapot » Tue 09 Apr, 2019 15:47

I would really suggest you changing/converting to chlorine. We don't call it Bacacrap for nothing. Twice the price or more than chlorine, also you get a pink biofilm slime build up after a while.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 04:25

To sort out the high alkalinity you need to go through several cycles of lowering the pH with acid, then aerating the water to raise the pH then lower the pH again with acid and aerating once more. Each cycle will lower the alkalinity and aeration returns the pH to the normal setting without increasing the alkalinity.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 10 Apr, 2019 17:00

With a low pH of 6.2 I would work on increasing it with aeration up to 7.8 before you start decreasing your TA
Only add enough acid to take your pH down to the low 7's before aerating again to raise your pH
Aerator
Also get youself a decent FAS/DPD test kit and dump the strips

Return to “Basics for New Pool Owners”