Conduit leak - don't understand

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
brucenpcola
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18 x32 vinyl liner pool, 12,000 gallons. 2 skimmers

Conduit leak - don't understand

Postby brucenpcola » Tue 16 Apr, 2019 22:07

Some of you pool experts help me understand something. Is there always water in the niche housing that holds the light? I've got a leak in the housing and I will be repairing it with the underwater putty and I can see where it was repaired before so I would assume that the housing is always filled with water. I noticed when I pulled the light out all I had to do was twist it out and there was no screw that had to be removed. So is there supposed to be a firm fitting of the light so as not to allow water in the housing. And should I also put putty in the conduit tube that comes into the back of the housing? I am just trying to understand the mechanics and where the water goes. I hope this make sense.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Conduit leak - don't understand

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 01:42

My light housing is always full of water with a water proof connection to the bulb connections, does your light still work?
Their is seal on the back of the housing which the wire passes through to prevent leaking
I would assume that yours is similar because you would have to drain down just to change a bulb
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Conduit leak - don't understand

Postby Teapot » Wed 17 Apr, 2019 06:35

The cable gland is always the source of light related leaks.
Some new lights have done away with the idea, some are induction powered so no cable.
The cable should be long enough to lift the light onto the coping for lamp change.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”