Paramount UV and Variable Speed Pump

Automatic pool cleaners, vacuum heads, pool covers,
decks, fencing, pool alarms and security ....
Lymond01
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16000 gallons (shelved, max depth 5 ft)
Connected spa
Variable speed pump
Gas heater
Paramount UV system

Paramount UV and Variable Speed Pump

Postby Lymond01 » Fri 31 May, 2019 19:06

Hello -- a few basics about my pool: varying depth but shallow (5 foot laplane, 4 foot main, 2 foot shelf, 16000 Gallons); variable speed pump; UV filter; cartridge filter; side pressure cleaner; gas heater; attached spa.

The UV light on the UV filter used to always come on when the pump would kick in on its daily routine. It stopped doing so. I cleaned...everything (filters, pump basket, etc) and pressure at the filter is around 8 psi. The pressure at the UV filter pretty much shows nothing even though water is flowing. The UV filter is designed to not light unless 5 psi or more is flowing.

That being said -- if I manually turn the pump on, it ramps up, UV pressure goes up, light turns on...then about 2 minutes later, pump ramps down, pressure decreases, light goes off.

The whole pool thing is new to me. I went through "pool school" so I have a rough idea of which valves are doing what and how things basically work and how to maintain the pool in a basic sense. But how might one go about troubleshooting this without disassembling all the piping? I don't feel there are enough readouts to give me a good idea where the flow issue (if any) is coming from. Maybe the UV filter is on the fritz or its pressure guage is...

Thank you for any insight.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Paramount UV and Variable Speed Pump

Postby Teapot » Sat 01 Jun, 2019 00:17

In a hydraulic circuit the pressure is equal at all points. Are you saying that after the initial inrush pressure has subsided the running pressure is 8 psi and insufficient to make the UV work?
Pool equipment gauges don't last that long so replacements are needed from time to time. Pressure switches get gunked up and springs rot in chlorinated water so worth taking a look. What you really need is flow switches rather than pressure but the pool industry is pretty stupid.
MarkGregg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MarkGregg » Sat 24 Aug, 2019 18:43

Hi. Did you figure this out. Mine does the same thing. My pool is a year old and I have a similar set up as you. Thanks!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 25 Aug, 2019 11:29

MarkGregg wrote:Hi. Did you figure this out. Mine does the same thing. My pool is a year old and I have a similar set up as you. Thanks!

Did you look at the pressure switch as I recommended?
MarkGregg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MarkGregg » Sun 25 Aug, 2019 13:16

I will look at it today. I just replaced the lights yesterday and drained it to clean pump and wonder if I messed up the pressure sensor.
MarkGregg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MarkGregg » Sun 25 Aug, 2019 15:44

Fixed it. I had the lights (I have 2 UV bulbs) switched coming out of the ballast. Switched them back and works great
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 26 Aug, 2019 00:54

Eh? The lamps have an id?
MarkGregg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MarkGregg » Sun 03 Nov, 2019 18:10

Looking to buy replacement bulbs but they are expensive from Paramount. You guys have any options for generic or cheaper options?

Return to “Pool Equipment & Other Pool Maintenance”