Pool Water Cloudy and Light Green

Causes and cures for cloudy swimming pool water.
Milky pool water, white, pink, brown, purple, black cloudy water.
vjpool2

Pool Water Cloudy and Light Green

Postby vjpool2 » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:16

My pool is cloudy and light green. Yesterday I vaccuumed, backwashed, rinshed and added 2 lbs of shock. This morning, the pool is still cloudy and light green. I took a reading 30 mins. ago. Please tell me what I need to do to clear up the pool and get it back to blue. I have a 16x32 inground gunite pool. Many Thanks. My readings:
Total Hardness = 250
Total Chlorine = 3
Total Bromine = 3
Free Chlorine = 3
pH = 6.8 :cry:
Total Alkalinity = 40 :cry:
Cyanuric Acid = 30-50

vjpool
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Incorrect user name-see vjpool--disregard this post.

Postby vjpool » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 10:23

I was not logged in when sending this message. Will resend.
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Tue 26 Jun, 2007 00:30

Is your shock cal hypo, or dichlor as the ingredient?

I don't know your pool volume, so cannot get specific with amounts.

I also suspect you are using test strips, and I don't put too much stock in those with some of the brands out there. There is one brand in particular that always shows TA low whenever I have tried them.

If your strips are correct your pH and TA are too low. You need to bring your pH up to 7.4 - 7.6 and you need to bring your TA up to 80 - 120. You can use baking soda to bring them both up.

As far as your chlorine, what you put in there has killed some algae which will continue to be cloudy until your filter can clear it. It's still green so your chlorine isn't high enough to kill it all. You need to keep your level up to shock level of 15 day and night, which means you may have to add more throughout the day to keep it there. Once it stays at 15 all night long, you have shocked enough and can let it lower. It can take 2 or 3 days or more to achieve that and until you get there, expect to see the dead algae in the water making it cloudy.

Your Calcium Hardness is at a pretty perfect level, so if you are using Cal Hypo to chlorinate, I would switch to something else.

Since your CYA is also within the perfect range, you should also not use a trichlor or dichlor product for chlorine or shocking. You need to use either liquid chlorine or unstabilized granular chlorine.

Keep your pump/filter running. Backwash when necessary.
After all the algae is killed, it can still take a week for the water to clear.

Return to “Cloudy Pool Water”